Led Zep JP celebration day concert Marshalls

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

WhopperPlate

Led Zep JP celebration day concert Marshalls

Post by WhopperPlate »

What am I seeing with tube layout ? Looks like the v1 v2 preamp tubes are positioned further back than the phase inverter . Thought it was an optical illusion, but the changing camera angle seems to confirm this . Has me curious . I have only really seen this with the Marshall majors, so I guess I am confused as to what happened here…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Re: Led Zep JP celebration day concert Marshalls

Post by WhopperPlate »

No ideas?
Charlie
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

All his Marshall stuff since around 1970 has been modded 100w to 180w.

I don't know what this is. The deck is backwards as far as tube spacing.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

1975 is generally the purported year of modification, but I have heard later as well. 1970 he wasn’t using the Marshalls regularly, 70 Albert hall is hiwatt . There’s a lot of great documentation out there by fans.

The tubes in the back look skinny enough to be el34, 6550 at the most but I don’t think so
Charlie
bepone

Post by bepone »

modern pcb marshalls have preamp tubes closer to front plate.. i dont know which amp is here,

shortening the leads to the input tubes (pcb) you increase presence on the amp, reduce muddyness
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

bepone wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:00 pm modern pcb marshalls have preamp tubes closer to front plate.. i dont know which amp is here,

shortening the leads to the input tubes (pcb) you increase presence on the amp, reduce muddyness
One look at the back of any reissue will tell you that this ain’t one . Look at the positioning of the choke between the OT and PT. Where are the top mount can caps? That’s not marshall super lead protocol .

Edit : the middle one at least is like this. Right one seems to have huge iron and choke in typical positions. The last amp on the left looks like the usual layout , but you can’t see the preamp tube positions

My bet is that these aren’t even Marshalls….at least maybe not the middle one …custom amp in a Marshall cabinet maybe…
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

For the sake of clarity , I find these tones to be some of the most compressed , grating and cheesy sounds to emanate from ol JP, but my love of vintage Marshall amps remains the same
Charlie
Roe

Post by Roe »

WhopperPlate wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:04 pm What am I seeing with tube layout ? Looks like the v1 v2 preamp tubes are positioned further back than the phase inverter . Thought it was an optical illusion, but the changing camera angle seems to confirm this . Has me curious . I have only really seen this with the Marshall majors, so I guess I am confused as to what happened here…
almost looks like majors with the OT rotated 90 degress (possibly with a replaced OT). But the distance between v4-v7 is too narrow. probably some custom amp
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Roe wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:31 am
WhopperPlate wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:04 pm What am I seeing with tube layout ? Looks like the v1 v2 preamp tubes are positioned further back than the phase inverter . Thought it was an optical illusion, but the changing camera angle seems to confirm this . Has me curious . I have only really seen this with the Marshall majors, so I guess I am confused as to what happened here…
almost looks like majors with the OT rotated 90 degress (possibly with a replaced OT). But the distance between v4-v7 is too narrow. probably some custom amp
My $ is on the latter

I bet it has sozos
Charlie
bepone

Post by bepone »

also ot has very sharp angles on trafo bells, so most likely is not marshall
Roe

Post by Roe »

Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Ding ding ding , we have a winner ! Definitely that amp
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

I often wonder how much better this old timers tones could be if they had access to the knowledge base of this forum . I honestly feel annoyed every time I hear JP post 1973, and I don’t think it’s just because the dude got sloppier or whatever excuse people often attribute to him. I think he modded his amps away from musical tones .

I feel like we all know what that feels and sounds like . Suddenly a Forgiving and fun tone becomes just not the same as before .

Throw in an over zealous tech that thinks “parts are parts” , with little consideration of how the replacements are going to affect the final product beyond safety and reliability , and viola now it feels like you are running on sand !

(Brought to you by the same techs that will shotgun replace an entire preamp board of mustards with orange drops and not think twice about anything)

With JP it’s probably more like that he just runs in small circles and doesn’t get much exposure beyond the insulated world of Led Zeppelin. The ivory tower disconnect within the guitar world . Ain’t the first time I seen it or heard of it if it is that .

Anyways, based on what I hear I probably won’t be gassing for a JP-100 anytime soon lol
Charlie
Roe

Post by Roe »

WhopperPlate wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:22 pm I often wonder how much better this old timers tones could be if they had access to the knowledge base of this forum . I honestly feel annoyed every time I hear JP post 1973, and I don’t think it’s just because the dude got sloppier or whatever excuse people often attribute to him. I think he modded his amps away from musical tones .

I feel like we all know what that feels and sounds like . Suddenly a Forgiving and fun tone becomes just not the same as before .

Throw in an over zealous tech that thinks “parts are parts” , with little consideration of how the replacements are going to affect the final product beyond safety and reliability , and viola now it feels like you are running on sand !

(Brought to you by the same techs that will shotgun replace an entire preamp board of mustards with orange drops and not think twice about anything)

With JP it’s probably more like that he just runs in small circles and doesn’t get much exposure beyond the insulated world of Led Zeppelin. The ivory tower disconnect within the guitar world . Ain’t the first time I seen it or heard of it if it is that .

Anyways, based on what I hear I probably won’t be gassing for a JP-100 anytime soon lol
JP did buy a SLO, a 5150, and a prs as well in the 90s. recently, colby offers a remake of his old superbass
4x12" w/H75s
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I think he generally sounds like he is playing through a 67 SL on about 4 which sounds like a Major on about 3. heh
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.