Led Zep JP celebration day concert Marshalls

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

WhopperPlate

Re: Led Zep JP celebration day concert Marshalls

Post by WhopperPlate »

Roe wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:33 pm
WhopperPlate wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:22 pm I often wonder how much better this old timers tones could be if they had access to the knowledge base of this forum . I honestly feel annoyed every time I hear JP post 1973, and I don’t think it’s just because the dude got sloppier or whatever excuse people often attribute to him. I think he modded his amps away from musical tones .

I feel like we all know what that feels and sounds like . Suddenly a Forgiving and fun tone becomes just not the same as before .

Throw in an over zealous tech that thinks “parts are parts” , with little consideration of how the replacements are going to affect the final product beyond safety and reliability , and viola now it feels like you are running on sand !

(Brought to you by the same techs that will shotgun replace an entire preamp board of mustards with orange drops and not think twice about anything)

With JP it’s probably more like that he just runs in small circles and doesn’t get much exposure beyond the insulated world of Led Zeppelin. The ivory tower disconnect within the guitar world . Ain’t the first time I seen it or heard of it if it is that .

Anyways, based on what I hear I probably won’t be gassing for a JP-100 anytime soon lol
JP did buy a SLO, a 5150, and a prs as well in the 90s. recently, colby offers a remake of his old superbass
If I switched from a stock 69 super lead to any of those amps I would sound like compressed cheese whizz too, and I certainly would play as well either , whether or not I was drooling from being loaded or not
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:58 am I think he generally sounds like he is playing through a 67 SL on about 4 which sounds like a Major on about 3. heh
69*

Generally post 75*

Song remains the same tour was the last of the decent tone . Those classic live 72 metal panel tones are replaced by that resistant clean sound he struggles to play
Charlie
Roe

Post by Roe »

WhopperPlate wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:21 pm
Reeltarded wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:58 am I think he generally sounds like he is playing through a 67 SL on about 4 which sounds like a Major on about 3. heh
69*

Generally post 75*

Song remains the same tour was the last of the decent tone . Those classic live 72 metal panel tones are replaced by that resistant clean sound he struggles to play
To perform stairway live he wanted more clean headroom
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Roe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:41 pm
69*

Generally post 75*

To perform stairway live he wanted more clean headroom
So he sacrificed his entire early tone lol
Charlie
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

69*

Generally post 75*

SOUNDS_LIKE
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:00 pm
69*

Generally post 75*

SOUNDS_LIKE
Sounds like iskras to me , not pihers
Charlie
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

No I mean attitude and gain level general sound
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:27 am No I mean attitude and gain level general sound
I know , I was slightly being contrarian , but even with that relativity I still hear a gainy metal panel turned down with iskras in the early years . Too many lively harmonics bouncin around to be an early piher loaded 67 . At least ime
Charlie
BrownIsound

Post by BrownIsound »

WhopperPlate wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:58 pm
Ding ding ding , we have a winner ! Definitely that amp
Ahhh, was wondering what those amps were, I remember him playing those during the Page/Plant tour.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

BrownIsound wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:53 am
WhopperPlate wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:58 pm
Ding ding ding , we have a winner ! Definitely that amp
Ahhh, was wondering what those amps were, I remember him playing those during the Page/Plant tour.
And I remember hating the tone just the same , but I suppose 1972 is long gone
Charlie
Roe

Post by Roe »

Mitch is doing the early 68-69 superbass Page used before he introduced kt88s around 1975: https://www.sundragonamps.com/

the original has serial no SB A10053. it looks like a late 68, early 69 amps with filter caps on top (https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... g.1165857/)

it also has some kind of effect loop apparently. Transformers look fairly standard. The PT is a Drake 1203-80 with a fatter stack than the later Dagnalls. But the output transformer seems like a Dagnall c1998.

a least some Drake 1203-80s reportedly had extra high voltage due to a faulty 115v primary
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

By golly , the dude has finally pulled his head out and got someone to build something that resembles his Marshall , it must be a cold day in hell !

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/jimmy- ... -fame-2023

This one is apparently coming with NOS 6550ge. So this means before kt88 he was running 6550 in at least that head?

I see those black caps that I can only assume are the same ones I hate so much that everyone uses …no wonder I think he sounds like doodoo in comparison to the past …or is this photo old? This still has 6550
Last edited by WhopperPlate on Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Garbage articles. The internet obscured reality and everything else.

Sorry. Just weeping.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:12 am Garbage articles. The internet obscured reality and everything else.

Sorry. Just weeping.
There’s a video hidden within of Jimmy Page , at least he sounded better than the celebration day
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

https://youtu.be/M2T6t5nuE3M?si=Ig9nX9_fc2ZDjVW5

He sounds better. I never thought I would see the day .
Charlie