20W Silver Jubilee Build

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

timrobertson100

20W Silver Jubilee Build

Post by timrobertson100 »

Hi folks

A few pics of a 6v6 silver jubilee built around 18W iron underway. Loosely based on the layout @dorrisant provided (thanks!), with most parts from Tube-Town and what I have lying around.
I had some original grey Marshall tolex from the early 90s to use and it just looks odd without the logo - figured there is enough here to indicate it's not trying to be the real thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Re: 20W Silver Jubilee Build

Post by Colossal »

Looks great! That'll be a fun amp to play.
timrobertson100

Thanks - I hope so

The PT puts out 300V, so I'm guessing I'll get ~400V on the plates.
It'll be a 2x 6v6 build, and my OT is a JTM45 (i.e. oversized) with both a 6.6k and 8k tap, and I can't decide which I should use... anyone has an opinion for this kind of build?

Thanks
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

I built a 6V6 Plexi many years ago. It ran at 440V on the plates (JJs) and used a 7k6 20W Marshall OT. Fantastic sounding amp. I would probably go with the 8k taps.
timrobertson100

Colossal wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:17 pm I would probably go with the 8k taps.
Thank you for deciding for me - I've been stuck in the procrastinatrix
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Very, very nice! I had to do a double take.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
timrobertson100

Thanks Dorrisant. It was your AO conversion that inspired me.

The Tube Town 18W extended PT has dual heater taps so I split the pre/power amp runs, elevating the preamp heater.
I powered the 12V relay using the 8V winding with the voltage doubler arrangement, like the Dumble 124.

The faceplate is the TubeTown "Silver High Gloss / Black" which looks great - it scratches more easily than others I've had. If anyone wants the artwork file, please PM me.

I had a 100Hz hum issue that Steve, Glenn, Bepone, and Martin helped diagnose in this thread (thank you all)
If I were to build it again, I'd put the rectifier, bias and relay power together on a board on the side like a Dumble, and rethink the capacitor placement - especially the preamp node sitting under the board.

Here's a vanity shot of the finished amp and it sounds as I had hoped - similar at lower volume to the original 2555 I have for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.