Sir 36 mod

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dukeamps

Sir 36 mod

Post by dukeamps »

Hi Guys, so after all these years i finally found out what the real 36 mod was, here is a clip of how it sounds in the room.
https://youtu.be/uIdybOVtRYo?si=apBWjAR_Q7uQnhMf
Cheers.
dorrisant

Re: Sir 36 mod

Post by dorrisant »

Sounds pretty good. Sounds more like 39 than 36. The speakers make a huge difference to the tone as well.

Even though I REALLY don't dig that circuit for anything other than Slash (and I am kinda played out with that), I have done a ton of clip-listening. Are you using Greenbacks or G12-80s?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
dukeamps

Post by dukeamps »

dorrisant wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:00 pm Sounds pretty good. Sounds more like 39 than 36. The speakers make a huge difference to the tone as well.

Even though I REALLY don't dig that circuit for anything other than Slash (and I am kinda played out with that), I have done a ton of clip-listening. Are you using Greenbacks or G12-80s?
Yep, the 39 and 36 are almost the same, i just used v30 on this clip, they seem to sound the best. You could also use G12M.
dukeamps

Post by dukeamps »

https://youtu.be/tXk0UKBllXs?si=MtY5jwp6pdhXI4-n
https://youtu.be/LYPZQkZ0ois?si=_XnzbON4mo6yNsI3
https://youtu.be/l4T4EoWXPcc?si=fjtcTV6KlbjvgwJl
Some more clips. btw i haven't done any post eq.
I know this 36 thing has been done to death, but i thought i would let you guys know.
bepone

Post by bepone »

dukeamps wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:39 pm Hi Guys, so after all these years i finally found out what the real 36 mod was, here is a clip of how it sounds in the room.
https://youtu.be/uIdybOVtRYo?si=apBWjAR_Q7uQnhMf
Cheers.
and again, what this is doing in diy forum? you are sharing? or only propaganda?
dukeamps

Post by dukeamps »

Well just start off with a 34 mod and add a 10k stage and you are good to go.
Last edited by dukeamps on Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukeamps

Post by dukeamps »

Also get some v30 or g12m speakers.
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

Years ago I followed some of the many SIR #36 schematics you posted (on another forum) and built many similar amps, usually 50 watt

These heads were sold to musicians in my local area and were well received --- your schematics helped me to learn to modify Marshall circuits

But most local musicians, at the time, were into Death Metal and they called these amps "mere Thrash Amps" --- they didn't feel that the SIR #34, 36, 39 amps were heavy enough for them

So I went on and built more aggressive circuits in 100 and 150 watt versions (also some channel switchers) for this crowd

Now I've come full circle and I've been doing some amp work for a guy who plays drums for several touring Doom Metal bands (I've seen a vid of him playing on Rock Palast, the German TV show)

He's been running a pro backline rental business, in the USA, for several years and I've been fixing up some of their rental amps that have broken down (mostly beat-up old JCM800's)

I'm currently re-building a JCM800 SuperBass that they want to be a stock 2203 circuit

These people want stock spec JCM800 2203 and 2204 amps --- they get up on stage and turn these amps up all the way (or nearly) ---- they like Poweramp Distortion and couldn't care less about increased Preamp Distortion or low volume tone/sound

Running these 2204/2203 stock spec amps at High Volumes has changed the way I look at them

A 2204/2203 amp doesn't really need mods/increased Preamp Distortion if you can just turn it up far enough and push the Power section into clipping
dukeamps

Post by dukeamps »

gldtp99 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:03 am Years ago I followed some of the many SIR #36 schematics you posted (on another forum) and built many similar amps, usually 50 watt

These heads were sold to musicians in my local area and were well received --- your schematics helped me to learn to modify Marshall circuits

But most local musicians, at the time, were into Death Metal and they called these amps "mere Thrash Amps" --- they didn't feel that the SIR #34, 36, 39 amps were heavy enough for them

So I went on and built more aggressive circuits in 100 and 150 watt versions (also some channel switchers) for this crowd

Now I've come full circle and I've been doing some amp work for a guy who plays drums for several touring Doom Metal bands (I've seen a vid of him playing on Rock Palast, the German TV show)

He's been running a pro backline rental business, in the USA, for several years and I've been fixing up some of their rental amps that have broken down (mostly beat-up old JCM800's)

I'm currently re-building a JCM800 SuperBass that they want to be a stock 2203 circuit

These people want stock spec JCM800 2203 and 2204 amps --- they get up on stage and turn these amps up all the way (or nearly) ---- they like Poweramp Distortion and couldn't care less about increased Preamp Distortion or low volume tone/sound

Running these 2204/2203 stock spec amps at High Volumes has changed the way I look at them

A 2204/2203 amp doesn't really need mods/increased Preamp Distortion if you can just turn it up far enough and push the Power section into clipping
Good job :)
dukeamps

Post by dukeamps »

dukeamps

Post by dukeamps »