Hammond AO-35 build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Hammond AO-35 build

Post by M Fowler »

Faceplate finally came in for my Hammond AO-35 which is going into a Z RT 66 cab with front valance reversed. Had to cut the supports out of the inside of cab and will be regluing and stapling for tubes down chassis mounting.

Camera ran out of battery so chassis pictures tomorrow.

Oh and that is AO not Ahole for you wise guys out there. :)

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
benoit

Re: Hammond AO-35 build

Post by benoit »

So this'un is basically a CG then? What's the iron?
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Ben,

Yes this is a CG and the iron is Heyboer 18w Marshall set from turretboards.com The voltage of the PT and primary of the OT are all inline for this amp.

The layout for this floating around is slightly different from the current production of CG as far as the arrangement of the Pots.

I was going to make it easy on myself and go tubes up so I wouldn't have to modify the head cabinet but drilled everything in the opposite places so was forced to go tubes down and modify the cab. Oh well.

Mark
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

If your EL-84s are as close to the edge of the chassis as the original AO-35 you'll actually be glad that you gooofed up. My son's amp has a wooden front facia and even with reflective tape on the wood he says it gets hot enought to smoke.

I got to trick him into getting it back somehow. I want to make it back into a Hammond amp for my M3.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Well I am not finished with the amp but progress is continuing. Here is the layout I used. Not sure If the that back plate will be a problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

Looking good, Mark. You better not let Henry see that red tolex ;)
"The blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits." - Willie Dixon
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yeah I have been a fan of the Red Tolex since owning my Z amp and have seven red cabs :) Wish I had even one Redplate amp they sound fantastic.

Black is nice but red is so cool. 8)
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

That looks like you've got lots of room there. The original installation of an AO-35 is open in the back of an A100 series organ. So the chassis is really tiny with the tubes right at the edge.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I think this is an original Z CG made from an AO-35
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Right. The one I made I put the knobs on the other side. It was a fly by night operation so to speak. I had never seen one. And anyway, his is a combo of a brown princeton and a variety of my own ideas. It's a weird little amp.
topbrent

Post by topbrent »

Fun little amps.

I picked up this ghia clone that was built using new Hammond transformers, not organ iron.

Same layout. The tone control is very effective.
topbrent

Post by topbrent »

For those who are curious.
Stock DRz Ghia guts
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Finally came back to this AO-35 build and had to replace the shielded input wire it was grounding out. I went through this amp so many times metering everything and finally solved the problem.

Its in its new home now.

Mark
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Got a Hammond A0-35 off Ebay so now I will try to build this amp one more time. Was the original Carmen Ghia built on a board or PTP?
Structo

Post by Structo »

You probably remember, but I converted this Hammond M3 AO29 amp into a 6V6 Rocket.

[IMG:800:600]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/ ... G_0539.jpg[/img]

[IMG:775:455]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/ ... G_0548.jpg[/img]

Not sure if you knew this but the end bell covers on these are aluminum and you can polish them up quite nicely.
I first removed any paint with some acetone to reveal the copper flux band then polished the top bell cover. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!