Dumble Tremolos

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dr. who

Dumble Tremolos

Post by dr. who »

I have seen a few of his amps with tremolos and I was wondering if there is any information known about the trem circuits used.
Thanks
cornel moldovan

TREMOLO DUMBLE

Post by cornel moldovan »

REALLY :?: MAY BE AN OLD MODDED FENDER AMP.. I WONDER HAD DID SUCH THINGS.IN THREE YEARS , ON THIS FORUM , I DID NOT FIND A VINTAGE TREMOLO DUMBLE.
JD0x0

Re: TREMOLO DUMBLE

Post by JD0x0 »

cornel moldovan wrote:REALLY :?: MAY BE AN OLD MODDED FENDER AMP.. I WONDER HAD DID SUCH THINGS.IN THREE YEARS , ON THIS FORUM , I DID NOT FIND A VINTAGE TREMOLO DUMBLE.
There was a thread about a month ago on a modded fender deluxe with a "dumbleized" trem. IMO tremolo and reverb are better out of the amp and in stomp boxes. HAD believed, as well as other people, that the reverb circuit deteriorates the amp's sound which is why there were only like 2 ODS Reverbs. I have to also agree with this, it does change the sound in a negative way for me and usually adds some noise. A good tremolo pedal is much easier to impliment as you just plug and play and can use it with all of your amps.
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
nickm57

Re: Dumble Tremolos

Post by nickm57 »

Ry Cooders one posted a couple of weeks ago. Had tremolo.

The position of a tremolo pedal in the chain will effect the sound quite allot. A pedal cannot replicate sound of an amp with tremolo. Same with a spring reverb. you can get close but it's a different beast.

The blackface or tan circuit would be my guess. But....

Ry Cooder had an old Gibson amp that he used to record allot with. The version of Dark End of the Street on "Boomers Story" is this amp. Could he have requested it in his dumble?

Nick
Last edited by nickm57 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

Hmm...
Max

Post by Max »

cornel moldovan wrote:REALLY :?: MAY BE AN OLD MODDED FENDER AMP.. I WONDER HAD DID SUCH THINGS.IN THREE YEARS , ON THIS FORUM , I DID NOT FIND A VINTAGE TREMOLO DUMBLE.
I know of at least four:

"Borderline special" custom made for Cooder. pics posted by Gil

ODS 150W #120 and #121 custom made for Todd Sharp

DL 150 W "silver alligator", a.k.a. "Pentode amp", custom made for Cooder(?)

pictures at "treasures..." and Rob's site

Cheers

Max
Max

Post by Max »

JD0x0 wrote:HAD believed, as well as other people, that the reverb circuit deteriorates the amp's sound which is why there were only like 2 ODS Reverbs. I have to also agree with this, it does change the sound in a negative way for me and usually adds some noise. A good tremolo pedal is much easier to impliment as you just plug and play and can use it with all of your amps.
Yes, all ODRs are really disgusting, esp. those of

Santana
Lowell George
Rick Vito
Jackson Browne/Bonnie Raitt

all famous for their crappy sounding amps.

That's why HAD called his reverb circuit the "Deteriorater".

Cheers

Max
talbany

Post by talbany »

Demeter makes a fabulous Trem pedal called the Tremulator...Used one for years very low noise no ticking and very transparent when switched off.. I highly recommend it...

Tony VVT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

I'm more interested in the circuit designs used in the amps that Max mentioned than a pedal.
nickm57

Post by nickm57 »

From every thing else HAD seems to have done. The tremolo would be a BF opto circuit ?
Anyone seen inside the above amps if they had a roach.....

Re: the Demeter pedal, it was supposed to be designed with Ry Cooder, nice unit but not the same as a Bias mod style tremolo.
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Max wrote:
JD0x0 wrote:HAD believed, as well as other people, that the reverb circuit deteriorates the amp's sound which is why there were only like 2 ODS Reverbs. I have to also agree with this, it does change the sound in a negative way for me and usually adds some noise. A good tremolo pedal is much easier to impliment as you just plug and play and can use it with all of your amps.
Yes, all ODRs are really disgusting, esp. those of

Santana
Lowell George
Rick Vito
Jackson Browne/Bonnie Raitt

all famous for their crappy sounding amps.

That's why HAD called his reverb circuit the "Deteriorater".

Cheers

Max
Man i LOVE you sense of humor! On a dif note, i just saw Buffy St Marie on Link TV, i think it`s wondeful Alexander backed her on tour, i`m 1/2 cherokee, and really dig her stand for Indians! I`d be willin to bet that Alex`s political views are QUITE EXPLOSIVE just like his amps! That`s a discussion i`d love to throw around with him over a cold one!

peace, james price