Gumbo Build Ideas - a lil bit of everything

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ToneMerc

Gumbo Build Ideas - a lil bit of everything

Post by ToneMerc »

What about this for a build?

Early 2nd gen preamp, CF PI and MusicMan high voltage style power supply feeding four 7581's.

TM
talbany

Re: Gumbo Build Ideas - a lil bit of everything

Post by talbany »

ToneMerc wrote:What about this for a build?

Early 2nd gen preamp, CF PI and MusicMan high voltage style power supply feeding four 7581's.

TM
Mike..2nd gen pre amp/stack is heavy in the mids bright and in your face..OD is as well.. CF PI wil keep things clean on the way out so it would be big open and clean..Not sure how 700v on the plates w/CF driver would feel..I imagine you would get some enhanced touch sensitivity and tighter low end out of it..I know without the CF the MM has a thicker kind of (lack of a better word) Hairy break up in the mids (part of the charm IMO)..My biggest fear would be a bit on the sterile side.. I would watch the filtering and coax and use your Pihers, and EM's, perhaps KOA carbon films on the plates to keep the OD smooth and anything else you can think of to keep it from getting harsh..

Good Luck!!

Tony

Good Luck
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

talbany wrote:
ToneMerc wrote:What about this for a build?

TM
Mike..2nd gen pre amp/stack is heavy in the mids bright and in your face..OD is as well.. CF PI wil keep things clean on the way out so it would be big open and clean..Not sure how 700v on the plates w/CF driver would feel..I imagine you would get some enhanced touch sensitivity and tighter low end out of it..I know without the CF the MM has a thicker kind of (lack of a better word) Hairy break up in the mids (part of the charm IMO)..My biggest fear would be a bit on the sterile side.. I would watch the filtering and coax and use your Pihers, and EM's, perhaps KOA carbon films on the plates to keep the OD smooth and anything else you can think of to keep it from getting harsh..

Good Luck!!

Tony

Good Luck
Tony, as always thanks for your insight. I was bored this afternoon, thinking up ways to use up parts and I thought here's something you don't see everyday. So I went ahead and made a main board eyelet layout, now I just need to shrink it. Not too keen on building a chassis from scratch, so right now it's just food for thought.

Mike
talbany

Post by talbany »

Mike
Yup!!.I'll bet the clean side would smoke :D For the OD with(CF PI) I would probably go with the 220k/trimmer..More low end and smoother..IMO
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

talbany wrote:Mike
Yup!!.I'll bet the clean side would smoke :D For the OD with(CF PI) I would probably go with the 220k/trimmer..More low end and smoother..IMO
Tony
Hmmm; low plates, classic stack, std OD network, CF PI and MM supply. I just need to pinch that in a 4 hole CE chassis.

TM
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

Hmm, high voltage MM w/ 70's preamp, sounds like it'd be a big clean Monster.

The CF Driver Tube has this interesting distortion (probably a bad word to describe it, maybe an Odd order Harmonic is better suited) artifact, making the Power amp clean but adding a new frequency to the gambit. Maybe this is what Dumble did with the 150w ODS #121 Todd Sharp had (wish there was some documentation of that amp.)

I think it'd be interesting to try shoe-horning some reverb in there (But I'm the dreaming type)... unfortunately not doable in a Ce-chassis.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

boldaslove6789 wrote:Hmm, high voltage MM w/ 70's preamp, sounds like it'd be a big clean Monster.

I think it'd be interesting to try shoe-horning some reverb in there (But I'm the dreaming type)... unfortunately not doable in a Ce-chassis.
Or you could just put a Strymon Flynt in the loop and play some slide.

TM
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

ToneMerc wrote:
boldaslove6789 wrote:Hmm, high voltage MM w/ 70's preamp, sounds like it'd be a big clean Monster.

Or you could just put a Strymon Flynt in the loop and play some slide.

TM
I was just playing a Tc Hall of Fame reverb the other day and Sheeesh, it really did sound amazing in the D-lator of my Quinn, such a small and compact box with a USB on it to try differing setting/save them ect.

but the Flint has Trem and Verb, proabably a great pedal for anyone seeking that Ry Cooder tone.
ER

Post by ER »

What's the amps rating on the MM power tranny? Might be pushing things as they had a SS pre to begin with once you add drivers.

I'm seriously jonesing for a flynt. I abandoned my reverb a loop plans after I heard that thing. Now I just need to scrape up the funds and figure out a wet/dry/wet rig.

Hi-power and early pres are my favorite combination. Have no idea how drivers will play with OD. Too bad there's not more Phoenix's out there floating around to try all the combinations. Seems like the odyssey's had driver tubes so it must work fine with any pre configuration, and the point with those was clean hi-power reproduction.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

ER wrote:What's the amps rating on the MM power tranny? Might be pushing things as they had a SS pre to begin with once you add drivers.
I talked myself out of a custom wind for my first high voltage ODS build and used the Mojo 130W MM replacement. At a 6A rating on the filaments it ran kind of warm with 4 EL34's and 3 preamp tubes. However, I'm redoing that amp and I did order a custom unit with a 7.5A filament.

TM