What would a Dumble ODS be worth if it had a blown PT?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Gibson

What would a Dumble ODS be worth if it had a blown PT?

Post by Gibson »

If the amp does not power up and a replacement power tranny/supply was the main component(s) needed, what would it be worth? Late '80's or early '90's. And no, not previously owned by any big name artist.
mr_hankey

Re: What would a Dumble ODS be worth if it had a blown PT?

Post by mr_hankey »

Unfortunately, the answer to this is the usual "however much anyone is willing to pay". I certainly don't think a fully functional ODS is worth $50000, but apparently some people do.

Anyway, a new PT is a cheap repair so I can't imagine it pulling the price down very much; at least not to reasonable levels.
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

I guess it depends on the PT. Did the original have "magical Dumble mojo" or was it just a off the shelf PT, that can be replaced with an identical newe one..
Structo

Post by Structo »

I would think to retain most of the value the same spec transformer would need to be acquired.
Be it a Fender Twin or Music Man tranny, it would need to be the same as the original to retain the voltages and tone.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

But then there is the qestion about Mr. Dumble picking a certain PT with certain spec's or maybe some modifications made..or lead dressing etc. etc.
dogears

Post by dogears »

Andy Fuchs repaired an ODS in the past. Speced the exact tranny. Did the work and nobody is the wiser.

So, as long as it is done by a good Dumble tech, Andy F, Brandon M, etc, there would be no hit to the value.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Absolutely Scott, especially if you are sourcing a Fender original. You could buy the same period Fender amp, replace the Dumble iron with the new/old unit from the Fender and sell the Fender with the replacement.

I've had stuff wound and put into the end bells and hardware of the old (defective) iron. Worst case, I'll pay you a few hundred for the Dumble "as is"...... :lol:
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Thanks for the responses. There is a guy that i deal with for trades and sales of used gear. He mostly deals with mainstream stuff, ie. Marshalls, Fenders, boss, etc., and not so much high end boutique stuff other than mabe some pedals like Fulltone etc.
He told me that there was someone he knew, or heard from someone else, that there was this musician that had a blown Dumble amp that they were looking to sell. He was located near the area i live. I had heard about this person from a few other people i jam with on occasion that there was someone around my area that owns a Dumble. Probably this was the same person. I'm in Ontario Canada so I doubt there are many here that own Dumble amps.
Anyway, I talked to the friend I deal gear with yesterday and he found out that the amp was sold. That's as much as I know about it. I don't know what it sold for or too who it was sold. Just thought I'd ask here incase the amp was still up for grabs and the price was low enough. So thanks again for the responses.

I'm wondering Andy if this was the same amp you repaired? Mabe he had it fixed by you and sold it, or sold it 'as is' and the new owner had it sent your way. Anyway, regardless the amp is gone now.

Speaking of value though, if there was a Dumble amp that was advertised that has a blown PT, or had a replacement PT, even if it was exactly spec'd or rewound, do you not think the value would still depreciate on it somewhat? I mean as a buyer i would still be hesitant on buying the amp or at least would not expect to pay full value.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes but maybe the seller would not tell that the transformer had been replaced.
It really shouldn't matter to anyone that isn't the most picky collector whether or not the tranny has been replaced as long as it was replaced with the proper brand and vintage. :wink:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

I replaced an output transformer, not a power transformer fwiw. I've never changed a Dumble power transformer ever.
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote:I replaced an output transformer, not a power transformer fwiw. I've never changed a Dumble power transformer ever.
OK. Thanks for the info Andy. BTW I've tried one of your ODS before. Love the sound of your amps.
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Structo wrote:Yes but maybe the seller would not tell that the transformer had been replaced.
It really shouldn't matter to anyone that isn't the most picky collector whether or not the tranny has been replaced as long as it was replaced with the proper brand and vintage. :wink:
I understand what you mean Structo as well as what Scott and others are saying. If it's basically the same tranny it should not effect the sound or tone. I would'nt think that a power tranny really effects the sound anyway, at least not as much as an output tranny would.
But to a discerning collector I would think in knowing that it has had a replacement may be a bit of a turn off, considering the prices that used ones go for. On the other side to that, they are rare so it's hard to really set a value on one. Prices have varied on Dumbles. It may be possible that someone would still pay top dollar for one with or without a replacement tranny.
As a guitar player, and not a rich one, I would'nt even consider buying one at the prices they go for. Especially considering there are cloners or builders making amps based on Dumbles that sound mabe different but as good to my ears. Being that this one was basically damaged I thought if there was a drop in price it may be worth buying, not for collecting or investment but just for it's sound.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Gibson wrote:
FUCHSAUDIO wrote:I replaced an output transformer, not a power transformer fwiw. I've never changed a Dumble power transformer ever.
OK. Thanks for the info Andy. BTW I've tried one of your ODS before. Love the sound of your amps.
Thanks for the kind words my friend.

BTW: It's not the sound or performance as much as the collectable value.
Its like a 58 Les Paul with non original hardware or pickups..Some collectors will have an issue with it, you know that !!