124 Revised...Please SAVE!!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

talbany

124 Revised...Please SAVE!!

Post by talbany »

here were several revisions to the layout I did on #124.. These were the loop wiring you refer(thanks to Tom).. The PAB and also the filter wiring for V1.. These were all addressed and corrected....After making those revisions I sent the revised copy to IC-to be posted in the D-files sticky section but stayed in my outbox for several weeks and don't really know if IC updated this.. Here is the revised copy..Save it and delete the Older

Thank You..

Tony Albany
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Drumslinger

Re: 124 Revised...Please SAVE!!

Post by Drumslinger »

Thanks talbany. Nice layout.
phsyconoodler

Post by phsyconoodler »

Anyone have any sound clips of a 124 build?
I'm interested in what difference the 100k plates have on the overall tone.
Crystal latice or vacuum,that is the question.
ayan

Post by ayan »

phsyconoodler wrote:Anyone have any sound clips of a 124 build?
I posted these years ago:

http://www.ayanmusic.com/audio.htm

Gil
Structo

Post by Structo »

That clip with the PAB on still kills Gil. :D

I haven't really heard anything contemporary with it to rival that tone.

Was that the first clone of #124?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ayan

Post by ayan »

Structo wrote:That clip with the PAB on still kills Gil. :D

I haven't really heard anything contemporary with it to rival that tone.

Was that the first clone of #124?
Only Billy Y. and I saw 124, and I changed one of my amps to that configuration shortly after taking pictures of it, so that amp probably is the first "124" clone. [ Differences: 100K trimmer; no brightening network in the FX loop; a 30pf master bright cap, as opposed to the 15pF found in 124; New Sensor Marshall style iron, so EL34s and about 480VDC on the plates.... so not a 100% clone, after all. ]

I quickly recorded those clips, years ago, because I was trying to sell that amp. It just didn't seem to sound the way I wanted as either a high plate classic or Skyliner (I had gone back and forth a few times). I had decided to try the 100K plate thing just for fun, without paying much attention to the results. As I was getting no offers on the amp, I started messing around with it, trying different tubes, and I eventually landed on what I think was a magic combination that made me realize that amp, to me, killed. Needless to say, I didn't sell it and it's still, in my book, my favorite sounding amp bar none, and my main gigging amp. The sound is dynamic and bright, yet squishy and round... it's hard to explain, but it's the only amp I have ever built that seems to do opposites like that depending upon how it is approached, without having to change any settings.

I posted a video featuring the amp with its "magic" tubes (which were not in the amp when I recorded the "for sale" audio clips) years ago at TGP, to highlight that sound in a band context. The link is still up and it is a lengthy download, but if you want to check it out, fast-forward to about minute 19, when you can start hearing the amp doing it's thing at a gig. Only one audio channel works, as the camcorder used to record the video was half-broken, but I think the quality of the tone comes through pretty well in spite of the technical shortcomings -- plus the assortment of clams I generously dropped for the viewers entertainment: http://www.ayanmusic.com/videos/Dr_Wu_M ... d_set.divx

FYI, the other guitar player on that video is playing through what, years later, has turned out to be basically the "RF amp." He built it from a regular Bludo kit, so it has Heyboer Fender style iron, and copied one of my amps which happened to be a high plate Skyliner.

Cheers,

Gil
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

talbany wrote:I sent the revised copy to IC-to be posted in the D-files sticky section but stayed in my outbox for several weeks and don't really know if IC updated this..
I spend 2 years working to get a better day job. Of course now I have some money but no time :)

Anyway I'll update the #124 thread. I still have an unfinished HRM build to complete. I got frustrated and put it aside when all my etched PC boards came out the wrong size to fit the chassis I got. I got some new copper clad board and etching solution and hope to track down and update the thread I stared and complete the amp.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

The amp used in these two is as close as I could get to the 124 pictures and schematic.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9669839
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9669838
jimsz

Post by jimsz »

I've only been a member here a couple of days and already I want to build one of these. You guys are really infective. :)
jimsz

Post by jimsz »

This may be a really dumb question, but with the popularity of lower wattage and lunchbox amps, is it possible to build a 10-20 watt amp using any of these designs?
phsyconoodler

Post by phsyconoodler »

Sure you can! The preamp structure stays the same and simply change the phase inverter and bias circuit to support 6V6's or EL84's.
Easy as pie. Really not much change for 6V6's except adding more load with a speaker. 22-25 watts with 6V6's.The same with EL84's.
Use a cathodyne phase inverter and you have about 12 watts.
I personally would be happy with 50 watts as the master and gain level controls are quite effective.The only real benefit to lower wattage is designing from the ground up and using cheaper transformers.
To swap easily from 6L6's to 6V6's now,you simply use a 6.6k loading on the OT.Swap all you want with no need to change speaker impedance.Just adjust the bias current accordingly.
You can also make it cathode biased for simplicity.They sound great cathode biased.And try a quad of 6V6's for a nice tone.More complex.
You can run EL84's at 420v as long as you get the screen voltage down lower and ease up on the current.The current kills the tubes not the voltage.Same with 6V6's.
Crystal latice or vacuum,that is the question.
jimsz

Post by jimsz »

phsyconoodler wrote:Sure you can! The preamp structure stays the same and simply change the phase inverter and bias circuit to support 6V6's or EL84's.
Easy as pie. Really not much change for 6V6's except adding more load with a speaker. 22-25 watts with 6V6's.The same with EL84's.
Use a cathodyne phase inverter and you have about 12 watts.
I personally would be happy with 50 watts as the master and gain level controls are quite effective.The only real benefit to lower wattage is designing from the ground up and using cheaper transformers.
To swap easily from 6L6's to 6V6's now,you simply use a 6.6k loading on the OT.Swap all you want with no need to change speaker impedance.Just adjust the bias current accordingly.
You can also make it cathode biased for simplicity.They sound great cathode biased.And try a quad of 6V6's for a nice tone.More complex.
You can run EL84's at 420v as long as you get the screen voltage down lower and ease up on the current.The current kills the tubes not the voltage.Same with 6V6's.
That is awesome! Now, I'm really intrigued. Of course, I'm not in any position to know how to make those changes at this point, I've got a whole lot to learn about that. If the schematic and layout were available, I'd probably give it a whirl. In fact, I would bet a whole lot of people might be interested in something like that considering the popularity. Thanks.
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

ic-racer,

very nice. sounds pretty damn good. nice playinig.
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

ic-racer wrote:
The amp used in these two is as close as I could get to the 124 pictures and schematic.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9669839
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9669838
Great sounds and a great mix!

I remember your post about documenting building your #124 amp, but how is the amp configered in terms of

-OD trim ohms and setting
- size of master vol bright cap

and did you use a dumblelator to mellow the amp sound for the sond clips above?
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
Structo

Post by Structo »

Sounds great IC!:D

Yes can you give some details about the recording as well how the amp is set up?

What guitar were you using?

How loud was the amp when you recorded this?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!