Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

FET or Not

Post by Structo »

Hi all,
I am making plans for a new 100w ODS build. Very early parts gathering
and idea gathering.
Got the nice chassis from the last run that Brian and Robert made.

I don't think I want to build the FET preamp, I don't really see a need for it.
I do have a couple acoustics with piezo pickup transducers but they have the built in Fishman preamps already so they don't need the boost.

Have any of you guys done anything clever with that second input, such as the old Hi and Lo sensitivity or impedance inputs like in the old days or anything else along those lines?

I may just end up putting a dummy jack in it or run two in parallel like a Fender in case on a rare occasion I want two guitars plugged in.......yeah I know, yuck.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
marcos

Re: FET or Not

Post by marcos »

Hi Tom,
some more uses for the FET input that I have found besides amplifying
piezo pickups: The FET is a part of the 70s David Lindley tone,
but it is also nice in combination with the Jazz mode for a real jazzy, more solid state type tone.
A friend of mine who borrowed my amp came up with another use for the FET: He used it to achieve Marshall type tones, in Rock mode with moderate distortion levels.Works nicely with the 70s style amp.

Just my 2 cents Marcos
Max

Post by Max »

Structo wrote:Have any of you guys done anything clever with that second input, such as the old Hi and Lo sensitivity or impedance inputs like in the old days or anything else along those lines?
Depends on if you would call its use for some more gain and less load, to rescue some more fragile harmonics before they get lost in your cable if you use your volume pot, and by this can't be squashed anymore that nicely in the crystal lattice of the FET, something "clever"?

The OD sound of a strat (at first a '63 rosewood and then a '74 ash/maple neck) into the FET input of a 2nd generation "pre-classic" ODS into a Marshall "basketwave" 4x12" (soldered for a 4 ohmtotal load) I've posted in these two clips.

Cheers,

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I find the FET really useful, it does more than play nice with acoustics. It adds a whole new layer of tones.

If your going to all the work of making a nice 100W ODS why skimp out on $15 worth of parts for the FET. Hi/Lo jacks are boring, every amp has those. And lets face it 80% only plug into the Hi.

One idea though is to do the jacks like an early Boogie. A lead and clean jack. Though you have the relay switches on the back to do that...
Structo

Post by Structo »

Point taken.

I guess I will include it but it won't be a priority.
Tom

David Root

Post by David Root »

I set my FET gain up high and easily get the violin tone in OD mode. In the normal jack you can set a crunchier or bluesier OD easily, so with the FET you have three different ODs.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

not trying to derail anything
just gotta say nice clips Max
really dig the vibe on both!
More?
Structo

Post by Structo »

Max wrote:
Structo wrote:Have any of you guys done anything clever with that second input, such as the old Hi and Lo sensitivity or impedance inputs like in the old days or anything else along those lines?
Depends on if you would call its use for some more gain and less load, to rescue some more fragile harmonics before they get lost in your cable if you use your volume pot, and by this can't be squashed anymore that nicely in the crystal lattice of the FET, something "clever"?

The OD sound of a strat (at first a '63 rosewood and then a '74 ash/maple neck) into the FET input of a 2nd generation "pre-classic" ODS into a Marshall "basketwave" 4x12" (soldered for a 4 ohmtotal load) I've posted in these two clips.

Cheers,

Max
If that first clip is single coils into the FET you have me sold on it.
Sounds like the middle pickup first then it goes to the bridge for more snarl.

So it sounds like the FET can really boost up some weak or lower powered single coils.

Seems like quite a few guys had trouble with the biasing or tweaking of the FET to get it to work correctly.
Which is the best design or schematic of the FET?
Tom

Max

Post by Max »

Structo wrote:If that first clip is single coils into the FET you have me sold on it.
Yes, both clips are done with the stock original single coils of these two strats. Amp settings, cabinet, mic etc. are all the same. In the second clip the guitar sits a bit more prominent in the mix, that's the only difference AFAIR. The rest is the different tone of these two instruments. Still a very obvious difference in spite of these maximum gain settings (Volume full open, OD full open). This too is demonstrated by these clips.

Cheers,

Max
fp2000

Post by fp2000 »

Structo, if you are starting to source parts like I am you should take a look at the new camouflage board material from turretboards. I have yet to receive mine but that would look wicked I think. Just a tought. I don't know if it will make troubleshooting more difficult though, since everything will be camouflaged. :D
Failure is not an option... it comes bundled with the kit.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Max wrote:
Structo wrote:If that first clip is single coils into the FET you have me sold on it.
Yes, both clips are done with the stock original single coils of these two strats. Amp settings, cabinet, mic etc. are all the same. In the second clip the guitar sits a bit more prominent in the mix, that's the only difference AFAIR. The rest is the different tone of these two instruments. Still a very obvious difference in spite of these maximum gain settings (Volume full open, OD full open). This too is demonstrated by these clips.
You've got my attention with those clips. Nice.

What is the clean sound like when you switch out of OD?

Or, perhaps even more interesting, how does it clean up if you stay in OD and back off the guitar volume?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

fp2000 wrote:Structo, if you are starting to source parts like I am you should take a look at the new camouflage board material from turretboards. I have yet to receive mine but that would look wicked I think. Just a tought. I don't know if it will make troubleshooting more difficult though, since everything will be camouflaged. :D
Do they have the matching green and brown goop? :lol:
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

Sorry for the DE-RAIL but Killer Clips Max!! I was a strat guy for almost 10 years and switched to a Les Paul when I got my 1st D-style amp, your clips make me want to put the FET in my amp just for my Strat. Thanks

Has anybody put the Trimmer in place of the FET input (On the front Panel) and put the FET on a relay (like the SSS & various Two Rock's?) on their ODS? I think that could be a very useful feature....
Structo

Post by Structo »

fp2000 wrote:Structo, if you are starting to source parts like I am you should take a look at the new camouflage board material from turretboards. I have yet to receive mine but that would look wicked I think. Just a tought. I don't know if it will make troubleshooting more difficult though, since everything will be camouflaged. :D
hehehehe

Yeah I saw that. :lol:
Probably not my style but it's cool that they are thinking outside the box.
I do like that pretty green board some guys used in the past, I think that was when Funk was selling the boards with his chassis.

I'm still trying to decide on transformers too.
I'm leaning towards trying the Magnetic Component Twin set.
I like the fact that the OT has the 4, 8, 16 ohm taps.
I like that flexibility.
Plus the price isn't too steep.

I know that vintage iron is supposedly better (aligned molecules? :D or something) but sourcing that may be a problem.
I wish money was not an issue but it is.
I can say this, quitting smoking is starting to pad the bank account.
I'll bet we were spending $300-350 a month on cigarettes! Can you believe that?
$50 a carton! Some states are way more than that.

Anyway, I can't wait to get started.
Those clips were killer MAX!
So yeah, I will go with the FET and maybe if there is enough of us trudging through the process we can get that board to work well.
I'm leaning non HRM but you never know..... :D
Tom

Max

Post by Max »

Zippy wrote:What is the clean sound like when you switch out of OD?

Or, perhaps even more interesting, how does it clean up if you stay in OD and back off the guitar volume?
My impressions in regard to the FET clean sound:

- perhaps a bit less "resonant" (because of the higher input impedance, that is 3.3M according to the eighties data sheet?) and perhaps a bit more "acoustic" sounding (with EQ switches and controls in suitable positions).

- with suitable "volume", "master" and EQ settings it stays "clean".

- a bit more high end sparkle than NOR input.

My impressions in regard to "Clean up when backing off the guitar":

less loss of high end sparkle as in NOR input (perhaps because of the higher input impedance?)

Sometimes I like to use the FET input of an ODS in combination with suitable settings of EQ switches and controls to emulate a kind of SSS sound (clean and in OD).

In the OD mode you can get a lot of gain with the FET without loosing articulation. And the guitar's tone stays upfront and unveiled.

In this video, starting at around 5:25, Doug Doppler uses the FET input (as you can see at the end of this part at 7:25) of a (most probably) "low plate classic" ODS for shredding with his 7 string:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qvMwCte8TE

IMO the FET adds a lot of interesting colours to the palette.

Nice weekend,

Max