Hughes & Kettner Switchblade

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

slim reefer

Hughes & Kettner Switchblade

Post by slim reefer »

Hi all. Newbie here. I bought a H&K Switchblade 100 head a few months ago that I am running through a Marshall 4x12 cab. Last week I bought 2 new speaker cables with the idea of switching the cab to stereo (2x8ohms) and connecting to the head. My problem is that the amp does not clearly indicate two 8 ohm outputs. These are the outputs on the amp.

One 4 Ohm output

Two outputs marked "1x8 or 2x16 Ohms"

One 16 Ohm output

Up until now I have been running the cab on 16 ohms in mono. If I want to try the stereo version with 2 cables would the two outputs marked "1x8 or 2x16 Ohms" be the correct outputs to use? Thanks for any help/info.
Cliff Schecht

Re: Hughes & Kettner Switchblade

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Yeah if both cabs are 16 Ohms then the using the "2x16" ports will place the two 16 Ohm cabs in parallel for 8 Ohms.

FWIW I was pretty damn impressed with the Switchblade when I played one ages ago. Lots of tones and options for not too much money.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
slim reefer

Post by slim reefer »

Just to be clear. I am using one 4x12 cab. Is it possible to run one cab in stereo with 2 cables from the amp? Love my Switchblade! Very versatile amp. Very loud as well. Will most likely pull two of the tubes and run it at 50 watts.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

NO...

one amp (mono) the switchblade is not a stereo amp. into two cabinets = dual mono.

when you pull 2 tubes your ohm load will change.

you can run a stereo cab chained together off of one amp but you gain no benefit.

If I understand correctly your 2x8 means you have a left side and a right side = 8ohms each that will give you a 16ohm load you don't have an out on the amp that allows this. you will be cutting the load and potentionally harming the amp.

The markings on the amps speaker jacks i.e. 2x16 would allow the confirguration of a full stack in the event the cabinet used does not offer a through jack.

again your amp is not stereo - you can not run two cabinets off of one power source and make it stereo.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
slim reefer

Post by slim reefer »

Thank you!! I have been puzzled for days whether it would work or not. Read the manual and been searching for info as well. I didn`t realize that if I remove 2 tubes that it would alter the ohms!
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

It cuts the Impedance in half. If you pull 2 tubes and are running an 8 ohm cabinet you need to set the impedance selector to 4 ohms. 8 ohms for a 16 ohm cabinet.

Make sure you pull a "pair" of tubes

You pull either the outer 2 tubes or the inner 2 tubes, never 2 from one side.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
billdawg38730

H&K,,

Post by billdawg38730 »

Hey the H&k amp as I have one myself,,has a hook up for stereo at 8 and then mona at 16 ohms,,,which will be all four speakers,,just plug in the stereo port on the back of the head
Old Rocker