Ceriatone Big Deluxe?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vntg

Ceriatone Big Deluxe?

Post by vntg »

http://ceriatone.com/productSubPages/AC ... /AC5X3.htm
Howdy. Fairly new here. My electronic knowledge is limited to what was taught in A&P school, but it's more than the average bear.
How is the Ceriatone stuff in general? This is one I'd like to build.
From what I've read so far, trannies is where I DON'T want to scrimp.
Plus the website is stating reduced shipping cost to the States if you keep the weight under 6 kg. I'd be looking at the guts, chassis and faceplate for a total of 5 kg.
I have enough 1X6, 8 & 10" white pine in my shop to build a veritable plethora of cabs and I have some 1/2" Baltic birch for a baffle. I also have a Jensen C12 I can use. I'm not rich, so building a Champ or similar and then doing another one is not in the budget. I'm also looking at 1st of the year before I get started.
Thoughts? Thanks in advance
Idle hands equals a sick mind
Phil_S

Re: Ceriatone Big Deluxe?

Post by Phil_S »

If you can fix an airplane, you can build an amp. You may want to spend a few minutes ramping up your soldering skill. Muscle memory plays a part in doing it well. I assume you can read the layout and schematic. Ceriatone has a reputation for decent kits.

You say you don't have enough budget for 2 amps. I think your sense to buy without the transformers is the right one. What you save on the iron and shipping from Malaysia will go towards something good. You really should determine, though, if it is economically viable for you in advance. I think I'd check Heyboer, Edcor, Magnetic Components, Mercury Magnetics, and, yes, Hammond for transformers and make sure you don't run out of money before you complete the project.

The question I'd ask, are you sure you want 2x 6L6? I'd guess 2x 6L6 cathode bias is in the 30W range and this is pretty frickin' loud. It's not a rehearsal or bedroom amp. Also, this amp, if similar to the "regular" 6V6 5E3 Deluxe is basically a one trick pony, though I'd expect more headroom. If you can only have one amp, are you sure this is it?
dynaman

Post by dynaman »

I made one using nearly the same values as the Ceriatone. I lost the audio clip the buyer made but I'll see if I can't get another and a bit of feedback for you.
vntg

Post by vntg »

What I'll probably end up doing is buying parts as the budget allows. It may take me a year or more to build this. The regular deluxe is also being considered for the loud factor mentioned. My soldering skills are in good shape. I've been doing guitar repairs out of my shop for a few years now. Many of my customers are the type with cheapies and they want pup upgrades within a month of me setting them up. Go figure. :o
By the time I start an amp build I'll have upgraded to a good soldering station rather than my el cheapo Rat Shack 20W pencil. Not really necessary but I'm severely afflicted with T.A.S. (tool acquisition syndrome) :lol:
That and P.R.S. (pack rat syndrome). Anybody else here with these diseases?
xtian

Post by xtian »

vntg wrote:Anybody else here with these diseases?
Um, all of us?

Where in the country are you?
Structo

Post by Structo »

That amp with the 6L6 will kick some serious butt.

Not sure what your idea of enough power is and I have no idea where that amp starts to give up the goods but a 6V6 Deluxe is fairly loud by the time it starts to distort so I would imagine the Big Deluxe will be very loud by the time it breaks up.

That may or may not be what you are after, just thought I would mention it.

When I was messing around with small amps I started a Deluxe (6V6) and really couldn't bond with it so then it became sort of a plexi type (still using 6V6).
That was better but what I finally settled on was a Rocket preamp into the cathode bypassed 6V6's.
I made the second stage cathode foot switchable for a volume and gain boost which worked great.
It has a bright clean tone and when the boost is engaged it has some pretty good hair on it.
In case you don't know, the Rocket is like a AC30 and normally has four EL84 tubes.

Anyway, welcome and have fun! :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dynaman

Post by dynaman »

Ain't no reason you can't run 6V6s in the 5X3 too. The volume drop isn't nearly as much as you'd think.
vntg

Post by vntg »

dynaman wrote:Ain't no reason you can't run 6V6s in the 5X3 too. The volume drop isn't nearly as much as you'd think.
Makes me think the Big Deluxe may be the better starting point.
My gig amp is a Grommes Precision S-35 p.a. that was already converted to geetar use when I got it. It's a stinkin' LOUD 35 watter with 6EU7's, 7868's a 6C4 phase inverter and ss rectification. Maybe the 6V6 amp would be better given that fact.
But I have a guy that wants the Grommes. BAD! I'll post a pic next visit.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I have a 5E3 deluxe that can run 6V6 and 6L6. I almost never use the 6L6s. The 6V6 is plenty for me for rehearsal and the gigs that I do. I usually run it with a half open/half closed back 4x12 for big, tight bottom.

As far as a one trick pony. The interactive volume controls and multiple inputs make this amp much more than a one trick pony IMO. It depends on the music and tones you like, but this is one GREAT circuit with single coils or humbuckers! The tones can go from fairly clean to raunch with no problem. This depends on the amp volume settings and guitar volume settings. It is very touch sensitive. The tricks it does cannot be accomplished by any other circuit IMO. I have an original BF Super and Twin, but this is my go to amp for a guitar straight into amp setup. BUILD IT! You won't regret it.
vntg

Post by vntg »

[IMG:640:480]http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv25 ... amp010.jpg[/img][IMG:640:480]http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv25 ... amp013.jpg[/img]
Here's my monster. Got it at a garage sale, not working for 5 bucks. I found a broken wire to the power switch. New tubes and a cap can and soldering a wire to the switch later, bingo. I had to make the cab and get a speaker. I also took it to an amp tech to get the cap can brought up slow.
dreric

Post by dreric »

vntg wrote:I'm severely afflicted with T.A.S. (tool acquisition syndrome) :lol:That and P.R.S. (pack rat syndrome). Anybody else here with these diseases?
While it is embarrassing to admit, I do suffer from G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome). Over the years I've learned to keep it in check by evaluating each potential gear purchases W.A.F. (wife acceptance factor) before the purchase is made.

Eric
vntg

Post by vntg »

dreric wrote:
vntg wrote:While it is embarrassing to admit, I do suffer from G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome). Over the years I've learned to keep it in check by evaluating each potential gear purchases W.A.F. (wife acceptance factor) before the purchase is made.
Eric
:lol: Been married myself twice and fully understand W.A.F. But my first wife died from eating poison mushrooms. The second died of a fractured skull. She wouldn't eat the mushrooms. :D
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

vntg wrote:What I'll probably end up doing is buying parts as the budget allows. It may take me a year or more to build this. The regular deluxe is also being considered for the loud factor mentioned. My soldering skills are in good shape. I've been doing guitar repairs out of my shop for a few years now. Many of my customers are the type with cheapies and they want pup upgrades within a month of me setting them up. Go figure. :o
By the time I start an amp build I'll have upgraded to a good soldering station rather than my el cheapo Rat Shack 20W pencil. Not really necessary but I'm severely afflicted with T.A.S. (tool acquisition syndrome) :lol:
That and P.R.S. (pack rat syndrome). Anybody else here with these diseases?
I think it is safe to say anyone who posts here suffers from GAS. I mean, what's the point of reading the group if you aren't doing something about it?

Gear you'll need for an amp build includes a 30-35W soldering iron. You are likely to overheat/cold solder parts with a 20W. Here is a cheap one: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=374-100
Here is what I think Stahl knocked off: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=372-120 I own the second one. I don't think either one is a home run. These are amateur level gear.
This one is better, but I have no personal experience with it: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=374-200
Here is an entry level 35W pro iron that I'm pretty sure won't disappoint: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=372-112

If I were going to accumulate parts over time, I think I'd start with the transformers. These are the most expensive parts and will take the longest time to acquire. You might consider a recycled PT. Haunt eBay for a while to get the feel of the market. You probably need something like 340-0-340 @ 300mA-400mA and 6.3V @ ~3.5A. This will be a big one and those tend to go for less money.

I wish to offer an apology for calling the Deluxe a one trick pony. I think it is a design that I am not particularly fond of. I have tried building two of them and didn't play either one for very long. If anyone wants to buy it, I can be bargained with. It is an amateur level build and done as a head with output to 4 or 8 ohms and recycled chassis and iron. I will post pictures if there is interest. PM me please. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.
a_e_a

Post by a_e_a »

Hey just popping in to mention I have built a 5x3 recently. I used kt66 tubes instead of 6l6s it sounds great. It was my first build and I had a small problem with hum. If you go this path you may need to change the grounding scheme from the layout ceriatone provides. I had to ground the first 2 caps to the input jacks rather than having then grounded under the board to the power section of the board. Not hard and a simple fix but best done before you wire the board down or you will have to unsolder a lot to get to it!

But great sounding amp and very loud! I need to build a much smaller amp for home use next. And also a rocket. And maybe an express. Oh and.... Haha :D
pamaz67

Post by pamaz67 »

It's similar to the pro tweed amp (5e5)
wonderful thing going from blues to jazz territory.
If it's equipped with the mercury magnetic pro Output transformer you get a monster.
I've made one for myself .
I build amps for a living.
This is one of my favorites ever.
Ciao from Italy.
Paolo