DIN Jack and generic 3-button footswitch question

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Colossal

DIN Jack and generic 3-button footswitch question

Post by Colossal »

I got a generic 3-button footswitch for use with an amp build that requires footswitching. Here is the link (see part number P-H473):
http://tubesandmore.com/Catalog/page_070_071.php

I used a standard Neutrik female 5-pin DIN jack on the amp. Much to my surprise (turned to aggravation), the footswitch's plug will NOT fit the 5-pin DIN jack. I've enclosed a photo of the plug on the footswitch. It appears that the lowest two pins on either side are very slightly lower than the 180o array the pins are laid out in on a DIN plug.

Has anyone used this generic 3-button footswitch and encountered this plug issue? I contacted Antique/CE and they said they have no other documentation that might state that the plug is NOT a DIN, nor have they had any buyer complaints.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ToneMerc

Re: DIN Jack and generic 3-button footswitch question

Post by ToneMerc »

Colossal wrote:
I used a standard Neutrik female 5-pin DIN jack on the amp.
Dave
Dave "standard" is relative as a 5 pin DIN can be configured as 180(MIDI), 240 or 270 degrees. Typically, non MIDI applications are usually 240 degrees and your footswitch appears to be 240.

I've used those types footswitches before and have converted the plug end to 180 degrees because I like to use the MIDI type jack.

TM
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Tonemerc,

Thanks a lot; yes, I have fallen prey it seems to the term "standardized". So it looks like I need to snip off that plug and swap it out for a 180o DIN male plug then? Or get myself some 240o jacks.

Thanks for pointing out the various configurations. I thought they were all 180o and a DIN was a DIN. Sigh, back to Mouser.
radstringz

Post by radstringz »

I need to replace the DIN-style footswitch plug and jack on a Peavey Heritage. The jack has 6 contacts arranged radially around a central contact for a total of 7 contacts. All except one are connected. Does anyone have a source for these "odd" DIN type connectors?
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

I've gotten 6-8 pin DINs from Mouser

TM
KT66

Post by KT66 »

Here's the 240 degree panel jack that I think fits the CE 3 button footswitch : http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDet ... 02-61GB5FX
Ryan

Music is the best. F.Z.

http://Classictubeamps.com
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

KT66 wrote:Here's the 240 degree panel jack that I think fits the CE 3 button footswitch : http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDet ... 02-61GB5FX
Ryan,

Thanks for posting that Mouser link! I picked some up the other day through All Electronics...just to get me by on a couple of builds I have going and will be using the generic 3-button.

Regards,
Dave
radstringz

Post by radstringz »

I found what I needed, too. Thanks for the heads-up. Not too crazy about that $30 shipping charge on a $15 order, though. I guess I'll wait until I can put together a larger order before pulling the trigger.

jr
KT66

Post by KT66 »

radstringz wrote:I found what I needed, too. Thanks for the heads-up. Not too crazy about that $30 shipping charge on a $15 order, though. I guess I'll wait until I can put together a larger order before pulling the trigger.

jr
Shipping shouldn't cost $30, you need to change the shipping method - I think you can ship a 1 Lb Mouser order with priority mail for $6.95, 1st class would be less than that of course, but I don't know if they offer that option.
Ryan

Music is the best. F.Z.

http://Classictubeamps.com
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

radstringz wrote:I found what I needed, too. Thanks for the heads-up. Not too crazy about that $30 shipping charge on a $15 order, though. I guess I'll wait until I can put together a larger order before pulling the trigger.

jr
JR, do you need a 6 pin DIN jack and plug?

Mike
radstringz

Post by radstringz »

I'm OK Mike. I have an order going out this week and I'll just include the plug and jack in it. Thanks.

jr