Rocket PT order

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

crafty1

Rocket PT order

Post by crafty1 »

I am going to place an order for some Rocket spec power transformers for Australia/NZ conditions ( 240v - 50hz ). These will be indentical to the Heyboer and Pacific ones sold by other members on this forum manufactured for north American conditions.

The only difference may be they wiring colour coding. I have had units made by this local manufacturer for me in past and i can assure you they are of excellent quality. I am not looking to profit, the price per unit will be the actual cost to me. Only extra cost will be for postage as usual.

Specs: 280-250-0-250-280 @ 300ma
5v filament @ 3A
6.3 Heater @ 7.5A
240v / 50Hz primary.

Please PM me for expressions of interest. I hope to have a price in the coming days.

Cheers,

Rich
sethyrish

Australian Transformer

Post by sethyrish »

Hi crafty1. Interested. Have PMed you.
Beerman

Re: Rocket PT order

Post by Beerman »

Thanks anyway Rich. I got it sorted already.

You getting these made by Dan at AVAT?

Post by crafty1 »

No. I have spoken to him though.

Rich
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

I am hopeful you guys can get someone to wind trannies for you there. The shipping to the land down under is absurd especially when you just need something like a single output tranny. Also I've only had two bad trannies ever from Heyboer - turns out both of them went to Australia so that makes the customer service challenging beyond the norm.

Edcor will wind them using the M6 steel and with 240V primaries and I usually carry a few of them in stock but a local source would be much more useful to you guys.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
crafty1

Post by crafty1 »

Tansformer Companies build PT's with the description " international spec voltage " which does cover most world conditions but not all. Some good quality manufacturers do offer true 220, 230 and 240v.
What happens is that a 240v spec PT is made. The secondary HT values are correct but all other secondary taps are not. Heater supply and rectifier filament voltages ( loaded ) are high.
Sometimes heaters are over 7v. Place a Variac between the amp and wall socket, lower the voltage so the heaters read correct and what do you know - the supply voltage is around 225 - 230v.
Sometimes amplifier manufacturers just blatently equip the amp with a 230v spec PT and label it as AU mains so all secondary voltages are higher.

In fairness, The greater market for these type of products are for the regions that require 120 - 230v mains power so that is what is catered for.
Australia and New Zealand is not economically viable on a global scale so i can understand the reasoning.

No prejudice to manufacturers outside Australia, this is just fact and big reason why i am ordering Rocket spec PT's for AU builders.

This may explain why RJ has had problems with PT's shipped to Australia.

To Aussies reading this post who have been asking me where to get the best OT's for Rockets, check out RJ's website. He has the best product range and prices, not to mention he is a good guy to deal with.

Rich
camerongrieve

Post by camerongrieve »

The standard was apparently changed to 230V +10% -6% (216V - 253V) but no one told the electricity providers

I always get mid-250's here :roll:

There are some Chinese manufactured transformers for sale that are marketed as being suitable for Australian voltages, but on closer inspection, secondary voltages are spec'd for 60Hz :shock:
crafty1

Post by crafty1 »

Ok, I have received the first PT to trial in my Rocket build. below are some pics for comparison.
I Fitted this PT to my amp on Thursday and did a show with it last night with no problems at all.

As wall voltages do vary, the manufacturer spec'd it to 243v primary as this is the average mains voltage out of the wall now days. Some areas may be different. As it happened when i tested it in the amp and under load i measured the following,

AC mains: 242v
High sec tap: 282v
Low sec tap: 252v
Heaters: 6.5v
Filament: 4.98v

Test amp has a DC current draw around 170ma.

As mentioned before the wiring colours are slighlty different to those used by other manufacturers.
The other slight variation as can be seen on the attached pics is that the stack appears to be slighlty wider. The core stack is exaclty the same however the end bells are deeper. The Heyboer made units have a shallower end bell on one end. These units have the deeper bells on both ends making it approximately 10mm wider however the mounting footprint is the same as the Heyboers units.
They do also have the copper band around the stack. You may not see it in the pics as it is painted black.

Cost per unit is $176.00 AUD incl + postage.
I will be ordering 6 units for now. Feel free to ask questions on this forum page or PM me.

Cheers

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.