Triode Electronics TW Express Kit

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

chuckrock

Triode Electronics TW Express Kit

Post by chuckrock »

Hey Guys,

I'm fairly new to this forum, but joined in hopes of leaning more about Trainwreck amps since I want to build one in the near future. I see that triode electronics is now offering a TW express kit, do any of you have experience with this kit?
http://www.triodeelectronics.com/twtubeampkit.html

FYI, I built my first amp a few months ago (Triode 5E3 kit), and had a blast putting it together. Hopefully this kit isn't too far above my skill level.

Thanks!
M Fowler

Re: Triode Electronics TW Express Kit

Post by M Fowler »

The kit was just released either yesterday or today.

They told me they based the kit on an actual TW Express they had access to.

I had questioned their MC iron it looked under powered compared to the 300mA used by others but they said it was based off an original so must be right specs.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chuckrock

Post by chuckrock »

Awesome thanks! I assume you've built an Express before? How hard do you think it would be? I have some experience, and know enough not to hurt myself, but I don't want to get in over my head.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

My first build was a Matchless Spitfire and my second was TW Liverpool and then so many more after that.

I don't think one should hold back on builds. If you want a TW Express then I would build one and keep asking for help from TAG members and we can help make your amp come to life.

You do have to be responsible to pay close attention to detail and voltages.

A kit would really make the whole process that much easier. Figuring out where to drill holes and placing the transformers, cap stack and power board on a Express or Liverpool takes some thinking ahead of time.

Mark
passfan

Post by passfan »

Surely they bought a license from the Trainwreck police. That being the case,????? WTF. They give some ,grief, while promoting others ???WTF
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
rooster

Post by rooster »

Yeah, I'm with passfan. How are they able to do this? Whatever the answer is, I would bet they are not paying any royalties. Perhaps the 'kit' thing is the key. Hm, could you sell a kit for a Ford Mustang and not run sideways of FMC? I dunno.

But still, I never thought I would see Triode offer a TW kit. This surprises me greatly. Maybe they monitor RJ's activity more than he knows? Wow, I am surprised by the offering.

All of this said, I do like MCI trannies and the people I have talked to there. Whatever else you want to say about them, they have stepped into the light with affordable quality iron for people who roll their own. Good for them.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Richie

Post by Richie »

it says their chassis is steel? teflon wire option?
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Note that that kit price doesn't include the chassis. They have a chassis coming soon for $90. Might want to wait for that.

As long as your very careful with layout, you should be able to build it.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I asked some questions when I first saw this kit coming soon notice!

The guy said they were not aware of TAG or the layout we have and that their kit is based off an actual wreck.

Looking at the layout it is more like Ceriatone then TAG using Cliff jacks on input and speaker jacks.

Chassis is steel not aluminum.

Should be a good kit, but not sure how much the steel chassis will affect the stability issues. Maybe not at all.

But going through TAG or www.rjguitars,net will get you tech support. :)

Mark
leadfootdriver

Post by leadfootdriver »

Does anyone know if the optional Sprague OD's are the 715 series?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Send them an email and ask. I doubt if they are CDE Mallory but could be 6PS rather then 715 or 716.

I have used both M150 and old CDE Mallory for Express.

Mark
Randy Magee

Post by Randy Magee »

Mark Fowler is telling it like it is... this group of guys helped and encouraged me through my build and troubleshooting afterwards. My amp ended up sounding really good. If it were me, I'd give RJ the nod towards providing parts... they are top of the line and his service is second to none...
Randy Magee
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

From the looks of the layout and choice of parts offered in the kit. Access to an authentic TW or not they have taken a lot of liberty in making this kit with parts they can source cheaply. I've seen a few TW with cliff jacks mostly out sourced builds KF later tweaked or gave up on. Never unless inger's sister has one has TW used a chassis mount IEC cable or Mallory 150 caps. I would start to speculate if they were basing the amp off of an authentic TW it may have been over hauled by komet. I've found about a dozen TW that have passed the komet bench with an interesting choice of replacement parts.
Steel and Teflon. May or may not effect the overall better or for worst. If working with Teflon becareful of the fumes when soldering if you melt the wire jacket.
The voltages of the PT on authentic TW dipped as low as 210-0-210 on at least 3 amps so it's about the parts values to get the tone not the set in stone after '91 TAG assumes as law.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
dreric

Post by dreric »

445.95! Without a chassis! I think rj or Allen could hook you up with parts for a more authentic (correct trannies, wire, caps and chassis) build for less.

Look in the files section for the express build guide and search (express + build) and you'll find a lot of experienced builds to reference.

I build a few Allen kits and a Kendrick kit to begin, it was OK just following instructions. I've come to find that the real learning comes from sourcing your parts and referencing other builders work. The community here is very supportive. Take your time and you'll make an amp you really enjoy!

Eric
chuckrock

Post by chuckrock »

Thanks for the encouragement and the words words of wisdom! This forum is truly amazing!

I think I'm going to attempt the build. No offence to RJ, as I'm sure his customer service is outstanding, but the guys at triode helped me through my 5E3 build, so I feel that I should show some loyalty.

The parts in their express kit don't seem too low quality for me, and I can always change out those jacks for switchcrafts down the line if I need to. When comparing the TAG layout and the ceriatone layout, the big difference I saw was the filter cap values. In that respect, the triode kit seems closer to the TAG, and it says that they supply sprague atoms, which I'm under the impression are good caps.

anyway, thanks again. I'll definitely report back with my results when I build the kit.