New project Tremolux 6g9-b

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

New project Tremolux 6g9-b

Post by M Fowler »

A year or so ago I got stuck with an original AB763 Tremolux cab, and chassis went to another guy :oops:

Well I am having a custom 21.25 x 7 x 1.75 slant chassis made to fit my new Tremolux faceplate I just received from Tube Amp Doctor.

I'm going to use one of my Hammond organ PTs and Mojotone fender replacement OT.

I had an original grey tolex cab AB763 with brown faceplate and cream knobs that I sold to Mike Keller now I can replace that amp finally.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tubeswell

Re: New project Tremolux 6g9-b

Post by tubeswell »

Cool! I've always fancied building one of those.
Last edited by tubeswell on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Received a custom chassis today ordered off ebay from Seaside Music for the Tremolux which is 21.25 x 7 x 1.75 chassis.

I maybe could have squeezed it to 7.25 or so but the chassis fits perfectly.

The Tremolux faceplate is available from www.tubeampdoctor.com The faceplate is brown it looks black in the second picture.

Next will be marking, drill, punching and drueling. :lol:

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

I've been thinking about building an EL84 Tremolux. I just put together a 2x12 cab with some really nice old Jensen 12" speakers. The cab sounds fantastic with a Champ but I'm afraid to throw anything more than a Deluxe at it because I'm not sure the Jensen PM12C in there can handle more than 10W or so. I figured the EL84 Tremolox would be a good compromise but 84's can kick out a lot of sound from that small envelope. I really don't want to blow this speaker!

I'll keep an eye on this thread and I look forward to seeing the results. I've built most of the tweed circuits and am just starting to dig into the brown era Fender stuff (just finished a few 6G15's and have a 6G16 started on the bench!).
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Cliff,

Your project idea would be a very unique amp. It wasn't that long ago that I heard about this EL84 Fender amp. I think I would like the EL84's over the 6V6 tubes myself.

Mark
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Mark and Cliff, since you guys are delving into these brown-era amps, here's an alternative to the tapped treble pot used in the tonestack. This idea popped into my head over the holidays, and a sim shows it to be very close to the original in frequency response. There is just a bit of additional mid scoop, and it doesn't kill the high-end quite as much, but it is very close.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Martin thanks for the information very appreciated.

I do have the tapped pot so will proceed that way but nice to know one can work around that.

Mark
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

M Fowler wrote:Martin thanks for the information very appreciated.

I do have the tapped pot so will proceed that way but nice to know one can work around that.

Mark
I don't have a pot and I don't want to buy one. I'll give Martin's circuit a shot for sure. Martin do you mind my asking how you came up with the idea? I guess I can see what you are doing but tapped pots always give me a headache when it comes time to actually design them into a circuit (too many degrees of freedom). Sorta like how those crazy Switchcraft switching style jacks can profoundly confuse with how many solder lugs there are (see below). I did find a 250k pot with a 50k tap (same ratio as 350k/70k) but I don't like changing the tonestack loading unless I adjust all of the R's and C's accordingly.

[img:760:1840]http://mzentertainment.com/store_pp_ima ... 8_zoom.jpg[/img]
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Cliff, it was like this: Hmmm... need a 350k pot. OK, put a shunt across a 500k pot. Need a 350k tapped pot... OK, put the tap on the shunt! The real test would be to A-B it with a tapped pot, but I'm betting it will get the job done in good style. A 1M is close enough if you lack a 1.1, the response changes very little. Turned out to be very simple to implement, too.
Last edited by martin manning on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Doesn't Weber sell those 350K tapped pots?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Structo wrote:Doesn't Weber sell those 350K tapped pots?
They do, but they are 16mm. This way you can have a matching set of whatever your favorite brand is.
dayn

el-84 tremolux

Post by dayn »

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Some good photos with that ebay listing.
tubeswell

Re: el-84 tremolux

Post by tubeswell »

Yee-ikes. $15k! :shock: I'm sure its worth every penny. :?
Last edited by tubeswell on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Cliff the Fender PA100 I am working on right now has those jacks on the speaker out. Beefy suckers.