My 2nd Express completed (Euro specs, filter cap cans)

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vincenz

My 2nd Express completed (Euro specs, filter cap cans)

Post by vincenz »

First of all: many thanks to RJ for his very good kit and advices. :D

Here is my freshly finished Express build, it is my 2nd attempt and this one is much better than the first one.
Except for the 230v power trans and the JJ cap cans, I wanted to build one quite close to the real deal.
Components and cherry cab are from RJ, pyro-engraved faceplate from Mark Armentrout.

The amp is stable, no hiss or hum, even with all controls at 10.
I installed some good NOS tubes (RCA and RFT for preamp, Siemens EL34), plugged in a Reinhardt 2x12 slant cab with an Airbrake attenuator. This thing is sounding amazing !!!

All pics here:
https://ibb.co/album/muueMF
Last edited by vincenz on Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
LarryLarry

Re: My 2nd Express completed (Euro specs, filter cap cans)

Post by LarryLarry »

Looks awesome! Did you do the cabinet as well? How did you do the lettering and picture?
vincenz

Post by vincenz »

I bought the cabinet from RJ (very nice cherry wood and good construction), and I applied clear lacquer by myself.
I ordered the engraved faceplate to Mark Armentrout (selloutrr) here on the forum (but the topic is not here anymore on the sales section ... )
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

i've always wondered. is there any reason to not use cap-cans like this for every trainwreck build? it looks a lot cleaner inside.

what are the disadvantages
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

wsaraceni wrote:i've always wondered. is there any reason to not use cap-cans like this for every trainwreck build? it looks a lot cleaner inside.

I find no disadvantages but other builders seem to have issues with them.

Mark
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Wow! That is some really nice work... awesome attention to detail and that is fantastic that you can dime it out with no issues! Very cool!

wsaraceni wrote:i've always wondered. is there any reason to not use cap-cans like this for every trainwreck build? it looks a lot cleaner inside.

In the case of the Euro version of the Heyboer power transformer, there is a wire bundle coming out from each end bell. These wires really get in the way of the traditional stack o' caps and the JJ can caps really make a great option to conquer this issue. It is also just an overall clean way to build an Express power supply... not to mention a good cost savings on filter caps. I think the first time I saw this was by Dana Hall and he gave good reports on the results.

Would love to hear a few clips from this beauty when you have time.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
vincenz

Post by vincenz »

Yes the JJ can caps is definitely a clever solution. Cleaner wiring, no need to glue, etc...
In addition, the two wire bundles coming out from the PT allows to make a very clean wiring. There are less wire crossing than with the traditional PT and caps stack.

RJ Guitars wrote:Wow! That is some really nice work... awesome attention to detail and that is fantastic that you can dime it out with no issues! Very cool!
Would love to hear a few clips from this beauty when you have time.
I will post some clips soon. It also will be interesting to compare with my (very good) Reinhardt Sultan which is inspired by the Liverpool and Express circuits.
RevD

Post by RevD »

What size can's did you use if I may ask? Thanks, great looking amp!

Regards,

Don
vincenz

Post by vincenz »

JJ cans are 50+50 and 40+20+20+20