low watt trainwreck

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dayn

low watt trainwreck

Post by dayn »

I was wondering if there are any builders here or if anyone knows one that makes a Trainwreck Express inspired amp that uses preamp tubes for output tubes (1-3 watts) that is push-pull and not single-ended. I have seen some single ended amps like the Mini Wreck but am looking for something lower wattage and push-pull.

I have been looking at an amp by a builder here on the forum that is similar to what I am looking for but am having a hard time with the price point being too high. What would a fair price be for a 1-3 watt Express inspired amp?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
sst4270

Low Wattage Amp

Post by sst4270 »

Since price is an issue may I suggest the Super Single Ended Guitar Amp at Angela Instruments.

Follow this link: http://www.angela.com/

And click on the How To Section.

It isn't push pull as you requested. But it's a low wattage single ended design that runs a pair of output tubes in parallel to increase the wattage a little. I was pricing it out and you could probably build it for under $200. Not including speaker. Especially if you already have some of the passive components.

I was able to build my Trainwreck for about $600 including the addition of the Power Scaling and Bias Mod. It was worth every single penny spent.

Steve
dartanion

Re: low watt trainwreck

Post by dartanion »

You could use a dual triode like a 12AT7 or an Octal equivalent for the power section. You could also use a small dual pentode.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound »

What about the mini Wreck?
dayn

Post by dayn »

The mini -wreck looks great (Steve sent me the link and I have read his posts). The big difference between that and what I am looking for is single-ended vs. push pull and that 5 watt range vs. 1/2 to 1 watt range. I have owned numerous 5 watt amps and they are just too loud when cranked for home playing.

Still looking...
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

The Moonlight amp uses a 6SN7 for a power tube and about 1W in push-pull. Shouldn't be too hard to graft any of a number of preamps onto this design.

I am thinking of drawing up a few designs and this power section is one that I have been wanting to try for quite some time now.

http://www.amptone.com/delftmoonlightamp.htm
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
ampdoc1

Post by ampdoc1 »

Can someone point out the link to the Mini-Wreck?

Thanks
bilbal

Post by bilbal »

http://sliberty.googlepages.com/miniwreckinfo

...this should get ya there.

Bill (bilbal)