Schematic: Please check for mistakes

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drhulsey

Schematic: Please check for mistakes

Post by drhulsey »

I was asked to share this schematic that I drew up to help me when I build an Express clone. I have added component numbers and a few notes. Certainly, there is NOTHING ORIGINAL about it. It comes from the A1b schematic (Kelly '90) with corrections by UR12 based on the Francesca pics.I suppose the voltage measurements came from Kelly '90. I certainly want to share it with those who might benefit from it, but would like it to be accurate and not CONFUSING. I am sure it will be of no benefit to you guys who can draw it (or build it) in your sleep, but it helps my organizationally challenged brain :oops: Any suggestions about making it better and correcting any mistakes will make it better for all of us. It strikes me that consistent component numbers may help discussion. I have numbered from input through preamp, then power amp, then power supply, as suggested by bnwitt. I have used Concept Draw Pro (Mac software similar to Visio) to make the drawing, and have attached a .cdd file for Mac users. I have also attached a .vdx file (XML for Visio) and the more universal .pdf file. The .pdf file seems to magnify nicely. The .cdd file works well, and I'm proud to say I can't open the .vdx file :D Just kidding PC users :lol:
I am working on a Liverpool schematic and will post it when finished.
Let's play :!: 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drhulsey on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
drhulsey

Re: Schematic: Please check for mistakes

Post by drhulsey »

I guess cdd and vdx files are not allowed :oops: I will be happy to email them to anyone who can use them.
Tim

UR12

Post by UR12 »

Lookin good! I might be wrong but I believe our own ampdoc (Dave Hicks) was the person who originated the "Kelly" schematic. Even so, it is nice to get a really good and accurate schematic drawn up. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Dana
slajeune

Post by slajeune »

Thanks for a clear schematic! One small error, the caps in the bias circuit are pointing the wrong way (+ should go to ground).

Cheers,
Stephane.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

slajeune wrote: One small error...
Stephane, Thanks for pointing that out. At midnight the pluses and minuses were kinda runnin' together :D
UR12 wrote:... I believe our own ampdoc (Dave Hicks) was the person who originated the "Kelly" schematic.
Thanks, Dana :!: You guys have done all the HARD work :!: I hope this is helpful. Liverpool schem almost ready.
Corrections made above :wink:
Last edited by drhulsey on Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Here's the Liverpool schematic redrawn from zompzwin (M. Krÿger). This is certainly not as beautiful as his, but I have added component numbers and a couple of notes. No bias caps on this one, Stephane :lol: Again, I have this in xml for Visio and cdd and can email to those interested. Please, look this thread for the Liverpool schem AND a layout:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3199
Last edited by drhulsey on Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim

rhubarb9999

Post by rhubarb9999 »

Now we just need layouts :)
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

rhubarb9999 wrote:Now we just need layouts :)

This is a layout I derived from Richie's corrections of the Ceriatone Express layout. I HOPE the component numbers match the Express schem above :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drhulsey on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tim

gearhead

Post by gearhead »

For the Express, believe you need to clearly mark the bias (similar to the B+ 1-5). It leaves the bias pot "area" at the junction of the 15k, 47k, and 10uf (R30, R31, and C22).

Runs to the junction of the two 220k resistors (R16, R17), which you do have marked.

Great job!
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

gearhead wrote:...believe you need to clearly mark the bias .
Great suggestion, Gearhead :!: Revised above.
Last edited by drhulsey on Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Presence pot is 5K. You left the K7 on there from the edit! :?
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Eyes :shock: We don't need no stinkin' eyes 8) The hurrier I go the inaccurater I get :!:
Thanks, Allyn. I know you get tired checking all this stuff! Revised version above. I hope it will be helpful.
Tim

ampdoc1

Post by ampdoc1 »

Tim,

Thanks for cleaning up the Kelly schematic. I know a few people have complained that it had a couple of errors, but I just never got around to it since there were so many discussions re the inaccuracies.
Ditto more "good" information.

ampdoc
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

gearhead wrote:For the Express, believe you need to clearly mark the bias (similar to the B+ 1-5). It leaves the bias pot "area" at the junction of the 15k, 47k, and 10uf (R30, R31, and C22).

Runs to the junction of the two 220k resistors (R16, R17), which you do have marked.
I would suggest doing also on the schematic.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

gearhead wrote:... also on the schematic.
I see lines :shock: Millions of lines :!: :!:
Wow- how'd I miss that one :?: Thanks :!:
Revisions made above and thread cleaned up.
ampdoc1 wrote:Thanks for cleaning up the Kelly schematic. I know a few people have complained ...
Dave, how could anybody complain :?: At least, you DID it with the best info you had at the time :? I really needed an excuse to use my new ConceptDraw program and thought adding some labels might be helpful to some- just a little sharing :wink: Thanks for all your sharing :!:
Tim