Small bit of grill cloth?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Small bit of grill cloth?

Post by Phil_S »

Where can I find a small piece of grill cloth for a baffle that is about 10" x 16.5"? I guess I need about 12" x 18"? I'm trying to go low budget on that 2x 5" speaker cab I'm building. Consider, this is a prototype that just might sound like poo. The speakers were $10 each plus shipping. I'm using wood I already had along with a bit of 2" PVC pipe for a pair of ports. Looking for a way to get this locally. Any ideas? Thanks.
cbass

Re: Small bit of grill cloth?

Post by cbass »

I might have a piece I need to look for it then measure it
Meat&Beer

Post by Meat&Beer »

Does color matter? I have this, measures about 26"x16". (Not including shitty/folded edges) I can mail it to you for whatever the shipping costs. I have two of em, if anyone else wants the other for the same deal. The other one has the tiniest little what looks like a burn mark in it.
Attachments
IMG_3985.JPG
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meat&Beer

Post by Meat&Beer »

Matt's got a good point that I didn't even think to mention. I covered my subs in brown/orange argyle to match my other speakers! I wouldn't go as far as to to a 412 in most regular cloth, as it'll look kinda funny when your speakers are poofing from behind making it look rather silly when playing.

But something like the size of what you've got going on there? Totally viable.
Attachments
IMG_3986.JPG
rp

Post by rp »

Without going back to check, Lopoline would sell small pieces of grill cloth and you get a big selection, they had a link for it on their site. Otherwise, the radio repair places sell smaller pieces of very cool oddball retro alternatives, some so forgotten ancient they would be cutting edge. AES and RadioDaze used too anyway. I was able to get a few remmants from this guy added to an order http://www.speakerbuildersupply.com/Default.asp You can email dealers like AES or Mojotone etc and ask about remnants, never know, prolly not worth it unless you have a bigger order in mind.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Thanks everyone. Someone took care of me. I am very appreciative.