New Ceriatone Overtone build with a few q. Completed!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: New Ceriatone Overtone build with a few q. Completed!

Post by martin manning »

Sure, CT is Center Tap, the 0 in 3.3-0-3.3. You can connect a 100 ohm resistor from pin 7 on the power tube socket left of center and from pin 2 on the one right of center, both resistors going to the central ground where the 1 ohm resistors are connected in the Ceriatone layout. Or, you can place them on the terminal strip where the pilot light is connected, again from each side of the filament winding to ground.

You can use either a 6.3 VAC transformer for the relay supply and wire it as shown in the layout, or use a 12.6 VAC CT (6.3-0-6.3) with some small change to the relay supply board. 12.6VAC CT Radio Shack transformer is this one http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... ansformers
chikov

Post by chikov »

Just came back from the Radio shack with my new transformer! I also enlarged the opening in my chassis with a dremmel bit and the transformer fits. :D If nothing will hold me back anymore, tomorrow I might be able to hear this baby.
Martin, thanks a lot for all your help!
P.S. gotta find two 100 ohms resistors now, but I should have them. Will 1/2 watt ones work?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Yes, 1/2W is enough for the 100 ohm resistors. If you bought the 12.6VAC CT transformer I suggested, you will only use half of the secondary for the voltage doubler circuit in the layout.
chikov

Post by chikov »

martin manning wrote:Yes, 1/2W is enough for the 100 ohm resistors. If you bought the 12.6VAC CT transformer I suggested, you will only use half of the secondary for the voltage doubler circuit in the layout.
I will do that.
One last question for today :D , I need to use red/yellow wire for my CT on B+, so, should I use it as "0" for my bias 60V circuit?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The Red/Yellow HT (high tension) CT is also the 0 for the 60-0 bias supply winding. You can just forget about the yellow 0 lead in the layout, and use the Red/Blue lead on your PT for the yellow 60.
chikov

Post by chikov »

Thanks again for all your help! I am about to connect the 6.5 transformer, double check all the connections, install the tubes and try to activate this beauty. I will use the light bulb as a precaution, but what should I do with Bias 10K pot? Just set it in the middle in the mean time? Anything else I should do before turning it on for the first time?
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Don't power it up with tubes in it the first time.

No tubes first, if no shorts, install preamp tubes.

Then if no shorts, install power tubes, make sure you have a load on the amp.

The bias pot you should turn all the way down so no current flows. Then you can turn it up slowly once you have the power tubes installed...and find out if you have the phase correct on the OT...
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
chikov

Post by chikov »

Thanks for the info - I will follow every step. However, how do I know if the phase is correct on the Output Transformer?
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

chikov wrote:Thanks for the info - I will follow every step. However, how do I know if the phase is correct on the Output Transformer?
You will know. It will squeal loudly if it is out-of-phase. It will scare the hell out of you. :)
Structo

Post by Structo »

Looking good Alex.

If your PT has an orange wire on the primary side, that is the shield for the transformer and should be ran to ground.

Not sure if you installed the heater wire yet but they should have a pretty good twist on them for the least hum possible.

What is good? 10-12 per inch (just a guess) :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

mhartman wrote:
chikov wrote:Thanks for the info - I will follow every step. However, how do I know if the phase is correct on the Output Transformer?
You will know. It will squeal loudly if it is out-of-phase. It will scare the hell out of you. :)
It's like hitting a scratch ticket every time.

I always wear safety glasses during start up.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
chikov

Post by chikov »

SUCCESSES!!! I followed all your guys' advice and lo and behold - it worked the first time! Here is the expression on my face captured by my beloved wife:

[IMG:640:480]http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp171/alexjohnne/DSCN1433_zpsfd18967d.jpg[/img]

Dumble will do it for you, every time. :D

Here is the view on the inside:

[IMG:640:480]http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp171/alexjohnne/DSCN1437_zpsd8ff9178.jpg[/img]

And the one on the outside with an extra 6.5V Transformer:

[IMG:640:480]http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp171/alexjohnne/DSCN1436_zps18951339.jpg[/img]

I would caption the last picture - "I can't believe it's working!!!"

[IMG:640:480]http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp171/alexjohnne/DSCN1428_zpsb73cd9c3.jpg[/img]
chikov

Post by chikov »

The input on the top, that is called FET (does anyone know what it stands for?) is not working. Plus, the foot switch is back words - the overdrive is on when the light is off... Do you know whats wrong? Thanks again...
chikov

Post by chikov »

I figured out that the reason I heard nothing out of FET input is because there is a small variable resistor on the circuit board (first preamp stage) near it. As soon as I turned it 1/2 way up - the sound began working. Yay! Now I need to figure out why the switches on the pedal are backwards...
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

FET is Field Effect Transistor, which is the device used in the solid-state boost.

Regarding the LED off when OD is on, perhaps you have a wiring error? The layout looks correct for LED on when OD is on, and the OD is off when the OD relay is energized.