invoicing for amp repair...unsolved problems

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

invoicing for amp repair...unsolved problems

Post by xtian »

My experience with the SVT raises questions about invoicing clients for amp repair.

In this example, owner brings a non-functing amp for repair. He requests a complete tube set, re-cap, and general cleanup/maintenance, and basically "get the amp working again." I give him an estimate and he pays for parts up front.

I do the work, resurrect the amp, and solve some unforeseen issues (bad power switch, bad socket, broken wires). Amp is now good, except for unacceptable level of hum. I spend an additional eight hours trying to solve this problem, but cannot.

My feeling is I should charge the client for the work requested and successfully performed, but not for the hours spent unsuccessfully trying to solve the hum.

Agree or disagree?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
johnnyreece

Re: invoicing for amp repair...unsolved problems

Post by johnnyreece »

I'd suppose it depends on the understanding of what it was decided he was going to get. Personally, amp repair isn't my job, so if I tackle a project that I can't solve, I don't charge for labor; only the parts. Keep in mind, I'm usually doing work for friends, or friends-of-friends, so I have relationships to maintain. You might be in a different situation. I'm also not depending on anything I make from this to feed my family, so that's another consideration. Either way, good luck!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

xtian wrote:My feeling is I should charge the client for the work requested and successfully performed, but not for the hours spent unsuccessfully trying to solve the hum.

Agree or disagree?
I don't know how you could do anything else, unless you advised the customer of the status before going after the hum, and he agreed to let you keep the meter running.

PS, I for one would still like to know what is causing it!

PPS, google SVT hum problem and there are lots of hits. One simple test is bypass the external amp jacks.
You're not the first to be stumped by this, if that makes you feel any better.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

martin manning wrote: You're not the first to be stumped by this, if that makes you feel any better.
Oops forgot to mention these - often there's insulating washers on the ext amp jacks. If they're missing and jacks are brought to chassis ground, that can set up a ground loop hum.

I never count on making $ per hour on SVT. It's a labour of lust um, I mean labor of love... Or just plain folly.
down technical blind alleys . . .
briane

Post by briane »

It depends on how you provided your estimate and the agreement.

Personally - If I cant fix it in 1/2 an hour - then I put it on hold - call them up - and say you can take it elsewhere or put it on the hour by hour bill - no guarantee.

Your agreement was to bring it up - so I assume thats was the price quoted. Any other issues should have been followed by additional conversations and a new agreement regarding that new problem (said humm).

When I look at the noise level in an amp - I tell people - While I am good at solving many such issues, theres no guarantee your issue is going to be obvious, and even solvable in a small discrete chuck of time.

Always the issue of spending more money fixing an amp than its worth.

BAsed on your description - I get the feeling the client did not agree to an hourly 'humm search' - and thus you cannot bill them for said work that you decided to take on your own free will , unless it was fast and entirely fixed the problem.

Ive mentioned the humm in some amps after doing some work - and peoples response was 'its quieter than even before'.

humm is a subjective experience IMO, due to above. one should not just assume it needs fixing, unless said client has said thats what they want fixed, at any cost.

Anyways, I think your doing the right thing.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
xtian

Post by xtian »

Yes, I really took it on myself to chase the hum. Cause I'm a sucker for a puzzle, one, and two, this job is a sideline and I can afford to be flexible.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com