Top Hat Club Royale gut shots posted

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

KellyBass

Top Hat Club Royale gut shots posted

Post by KellyBass »

Here's some gut shots of the Top Hat Club Royale that I am selling for a customer. In an earlier post, I was needing some help with it's value. I received some very good advise and am returning the favor with some requested gut shots. This is an impressive build!

Sorry bout the less than stellar photography.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This message has been printed using 100% recycled electrons.
Cliff Schecht

Re: Top Hat Club Royale gut shots posted

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Now that's the kind of build quality I want to see when someone is charging good money for their work. Looks like they really took their time with the layout and actual building.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

thanks for sharing! it really is a beaut-ner as we say in Maine. definitely an inspiration and something for me to strive to create something that nice!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

As much as I am a fan of a neat layout, I do not care for the excessively sharp bends in solid core hookup wire. It may look cute, but it will lead to failures in the long run - not recommended.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

+1
I really can't imagine what the motivation is for 90 degree bends like that.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Zippy wrote:As much as I am a fan of a neat layout, I do not care for the excessively sharp bends in solid core hookup wire. It may look cute, but it will lead to failures in the long run - not recommended.
I did notice that on the yellow wire, the insulation looks crushed where the bend was made. If the bend angles weren't so steep it wouldn't be a big deal but regardless, still a nice layout to look at.
eddie25

Post by eddie25 »

I don't quite get why everyone thinks solid core wire will break when you do sharp bends? How is it going to lead to failure? Is it not the same as sharply bending a resistor lead?

I really doubt they have ever had any problems with their wires breaking.
jelle

Post by jelle »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_(material)

Not sure if an issue here, but can be, especially with poor wire stripping technique.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

eddie25 wrote:I don't quite get why everyone thinks solid core wire will break when you do sharp bends? How is it going to lead to failure? Is it not the same as sharply bending a resistor lead?

I don't bend component leads in a hard right angle either. The standard that I learned as a navy nuclear-qualified electrician was bend radius = 5 x diameter. There's nothing gained from making a hard square bend other than the ooh-ahh factor to the uninformed.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Zippy wrote:
eddie25 wrote:I don't quite get why everyone thinks solid core wire will break when you do sharp bends? How is it going to lead to failure? Is it not the same as sharply bending a resistor lead?

I don't bend component leads in a hard right angle either. The standard that I learned as a navy nuclear-qualified electrician was bend radius = 5 x diameter. There's nothing gained from making a hard square bend other than the ooh-ahh factor to the uninformed.
This. Great rule of thumb.

Typically I will just use the outside diameter of my pliers (needle nose for thin wires, regular for fatter wires) to make these bends. No benefit to the sharp angles and if you pulled off the insulation from that yellow wire, you will probably see some stressing of the conductor right at the bend.
eddie25

Post by eddie25 »

I mean, I understand the theory of why not to do it, it's just that with one sharp (I should say semi-sharp) bend with a normal pair of pliers I just don't see this ever being an issue. I tested it myself once and the wire only looks to be stressed if you bend it more than once, but I'll trust you guys.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

No! Don't trust anyone. Especially these guys. :P

That sharp bend just makes no sense to me. I ask myself why would I do this? Not what is the harm? I can't think of any good reason to do it, but there are some possible reasons why I wouldn't want to.
cbass

Post by cbass »

vibratoking wrote:+1
I really can't imagine what the motivation is for 90 degree bends like that.
Cause It looks cool . I agree though those bends need SME radi

It is a nice looking build though .is that some polystyrene caps I see?
Last edited by cbass on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Guess they aren't concerned with current crowding... :P
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

He makes beautiful amps. In my opinion they are sterile and lifeless, but insanely well done.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.