Talk me out of a 100 watt Hiwatt build.......

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

playonit

Re: Talk me out of a 100 watt Hiwatt build.......

Post by playonit »

Got back at it after a way to long of a break.... Here's a few more pics.. I decided to add the bias test jacks with a bias pot ala the ceriatone layout rather than the internal adjustment as others i have seen.. I have a little confusion there at the moment that I need to figure but it will surely add ease to checking and setting bias....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I brake for Lard......
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Looking good playonit
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

It does look brilliant. I know it's too late, but I always recommend that people build the 50W version, but get the faceplate for a 200....scare the crap out of the sound guys.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Nice and neat. An amp to be proud of. Is it finished yet?
jelle

Post by jelle »

jaysg wrote:It does look brilliant. I know it's too late, but I always recommend that people build the 50W version, but get the faceplate for a 200....scare the crap out of the sound guys.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sabredude

Chassis?

Post by sabredude »

Did you find that chassis pre-drilled or do it yourself?
I'm contemplating building one of these myself but I've gotten too lazy to drill all my own chassis any more.

Thanks!
playonit

Re: Chassis?

Post by playonit »

sabredude wrote:Did you find that chassis pre-drilled or do it yourself?
I'm contemplating building one of these myself but I've gotten too lazy to drill all my own chassis any more.

Thanks!

I bought the chassis pre-drilled from allynmey here on the TAG... really nice chassis.. don't know if he has any left or not... it sure beat the heck out of drilling my own.. which I would have done if I wasn't able to get this..

Here is a post with some chassis info..
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22233
I brake for Lard......
scott pruden

Post by scott pruden »

Very nice! I built a DR103 a few years ago with Heyerboer xformers.
It seems to like my 2x12 cab with EV speakers the best, so that's where it lives. Weird but I was thinking 'big stack' when I built it, but now use it as like a blackface Twin or something. Master volume actually works well
playonit

Post by playonit »

A little more done.. I have never taken this long building an amp in my life.... I hope to have it up and running by the end of December...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I brake for Lard......
xtian

Post by xtian »

Um, that's going to be, maybe, kind of fabulous?
*spoken with valley girl accent*

Nice nice nice looking.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
ER

Post by ER »

When I built my dumble-ish amp, I built it as a 2x12 combo (ev's) 100 watt with 6ca7, and made it HRM style but with a hiwatt stack at the OD entrance instead of a marshall style at the exit. 70's style clean channel with it's own clean master and tone stack bypass on both channels both with footswitch relays and with a switched pot on the mid controls.

Pretty happy with how it turned out, does a nice hiwatt tone and lots of flexibility. Just wish it was lighter. Pulled 2 tubes for a while, but went back to 4, really happy with the fact that I went 100 watts. Just beefier and fuller at all levels.

I had both 50 and 100 watt hiwatts in the past, and could never find the marshall that I liked better, my combo sounds like a mix of the marshall I always wanted but could never find and the best of my hiwatts.