Finishing up my Dirty (not so) little monster (w/ clip)

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

strelok

Finishing up my Dirty (not so) little monster (w/ clip)

Post by strelok »

So I posted a while back about making DLM with a KT120 just for the hell of it and its just about done. Got a head box and 1x12 cab built and now just making some adjustments to the circuit. Its starting to sound really good. The low end response of the KT120 is pretty ridiculous. There's just a few changes I have left to make, namely changing some of the resistors of the preamp supply to get the voltages in spec and upping the filtering a bit. It has a bit of 120hz hum that I thought was from a ground loop but after cleaning up the grounding scheme and it not making much of a difference I hooked it up to a high voltage regulated supply and it was dead quiet so most likely there's insufficient filtering, its also a bit tubby in the bass so hopefully that will tighten it up as well.

The preamp started off as an A3 spec but I'm moving towards an A1a or b, with the 33k grid stopper on v1b and 150k grid leak on v2a. Also going to have to lower the bass pot down to 250k or maybe even 25k as the bass is a bit overwhelming currently, going to order those pots along with some filter caps to try this week. Probably going to add a cut knob as well, as it can be kinda harsh in the top end with the gain up at lower volumes. Just a quick clip below, cant really crank it up right now unfortunately so the tone is a bit buzzy but I'm curious to know what you guys think. Sorry for the lousy sound quality, just an SM57 straight into my PC sound card. Speaker is a Scumback G12M-65 75hz. Strat with a PAF.
Amp settings:
Gain: 7
Treble: 3
Mid: 10
Bass: 0
Volume: 3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Decko

Nice

Post by Decko »

Sounds great!

Decko
strelok

Re: Finishing up my Dirty (not so) little monster (w/ clip)

Post by strelok »

Thanks man! Hopefully I will get to make some recordings of it with it cranked up a bit more and get some better tone going. If I can get this thing to sound half as good as leadfootdriver's clips I'd be very happy. Currently biased at 45w so about 22-23 watts at the output give or take. This thing is really loud! Will get some pics up as soon as I can borrow a decent camera from a friend or something.