Fender SCXD mod

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Auth

Fender SCXD mod

Post by Auth »

I recently modified my Fender SCXD from a 10" speaker to a 12" without changing the cabinet. It was a really tight squeeze and I had to lop off parallel parts of the speaker frame but since it was a Chinese Celestion G12P-80 I was not hugely concerned about miscalculating.[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Re: Fender SCXD mod

Post by Stevem »

Yup, tight fit!
Some years ago I stuffed a 10" driver in my Vibro Champ and had to cut the speaker frame in one spot to clear the long multi section filter that these amps have, but it was well worth the time!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Auth

SCXD

Post by Auth »

I'm glad to know that some other players are "adventurous" enough to try mods other than swapping tubes. Next I'm thinking about shoehorning a 15" into my Deluxe VM
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I would try out a amp like one of the new 400 buck Fenders first that are fitted with a 15 incher to see if you like the speed of response in a amp fitted with a 15" driver, as the bigger cone is a tad slower to respond and the highs can be quite beamy dependent on the drivers voice coil cover used!

I have a 54 Gibson with a 15 and at 25 watts of rms power that's about all you can take in a combo amp without a separate speaker section without shaking the output tubes apart on a regular basis if you play it cranked the way they should be!

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Auth

Deluxe 15"

Post by Auth »

I'm going to test the 40 watt deluxe through an external mounted 15" before I commit.I know that alot depends on the driver specs but it all comes down to what sounds good to your ear.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If you basically like the sound of the 15, but the highs are too beamy then a beam blocker will cure that issue!

Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If you basically like the sound of the 15, but the highs are too beamy then a beam blocker will cure that issue!

Auth

beam blocker

Post by Auth »

Never found a need for a beam blocker...I just turn it down,cut the treble or just step aside.