Underrated Guitarists.

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

telentubes

Re: Underrated Guitarists.

Post by telentubes »

I'll post some links.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Ted Greene is close to a savant. Total focus and immersion. That guy could make some music. Chord Chemistry is a great book. Modern Chord Progressions...not so much. YMMV.

I'll add Ike Turner to the under rated list. Check out a song called Jazzy Fuzzy. Didn't know he was capable of that. I'll post a link after work, when I regain my freedom. :)

Only link I could find. That is some great tone and playing, IMO!

https://play.spotify.com/album/1GRrUfYC21CZ0Qvuza0iuH
Last edited by vibratoking on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Ike! Yes! He's a badass!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I seen ike live once . he is a badass
JoeCon

Post by JoeCon »

I like Dave Gregory from XTC. He never overplays and always has just the right part/solo to make the song. Reminds me of George Harrison.
In theory, theory is the same as practice. In practice it's different.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

JoeCon wrote:I like Dave Gregory from XTC. He never overplays and always has just the right part/solo to make the song. Reminds me of George Harrison.
Damn it.!
Saw a video of him recently (3-4 months). It was fairly long and in-depth. He CAN play anything.....chooses/likes to play what he did/does. he is not the guy we think of, when we think of guitar based bands.
Wish I had a link to that video. I was.....how should I say this.....put in my place, humbled, had my eyes opened.
Yeah...that guy likes guitars, and he knows how to play them. :)
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Tina says ike is a badass!
i'd have to add Guy Petersen, Steve Mitchell, and many previously mentioned, but how about Overrated guitarists, you know, like Bruce Sprungsteen or Kenny why Sheppard. Seriously, i hear better guitar playing in some commercials!
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Mick Ronson

YouTube does not seem to have the studio version of Ian Hunter's "The Outsider". The tone on the live version pales in comparison.

LP into a Marshall Major.
RCGPNY1

Post by RCGPNY1 »

In the land of the overrated 2 Erics come to mind...Clapton( he hasnt done anything worthwhile on electric guitar since '69 and Johnson(kinda a one trick poney) Stevie Ray, Carlos Santana(saw him at an after NAMM show..he played and sounded like ass with his Dumble/Boogie combo)
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

Eric Roche, sadly passed away from the big C a few years ago but very very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-tO6IFwBXI
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

TUBEDUDE wrote:how about Overrated guitarists, you know, like Bruce Sprungsteen or Kenny why Sheppard. Seriously, i hear better guitar playing in some commercials!
I was lucky to watch a Moose Stringbean show from the bottom of the stage-entry stairs @ 5 years ago at Albany's arena formerly known as the Knickerbocker. He spent about quarter of the show playing to those in the seats behind the stage - at these points I was watching from @ 8-10 feet away. Now I never expected much of Bruce as a guitarist, especially since he has two talented guitarists to do the heavy lifting. I was impressed nonetheless. He was way better than I thought he would be, but has a raw style that may not appeal to everybody. His is definitely not a finesse style. Did some things guitar teachers would rap his knuckles for. So .. IMHO he belongs neither on the UR nor OR list. He made his bones as a songwriter/singer never as a guitarist.

Over or under? How about Leslie West? I'm still a big fan of those early Mountain albums. And for those who haven't heard his solo album pre-Mountain, that's a treat too. That was all 40+ years back. Since then, not so much.

Or Robin Trower? Awesome tones on the first five Procol Harum albums, without a flanger or chorus in earshot. Just absolutely slammin' in spots. I wasn't so crazy about his initial solo albums although they sold plenty. Last 25 years or so, back to the blues and I'm liking his tone a lot more. His latest album is loaded with blues standards. I'll be interested in hearing his take on them. RT's on the list to see this fall at the Ridgefield Playhouse Oct 25.

Dicky Betts - now there's one. Everybody concentrates on Duane, but Mr Betts has a lot to offer. I'm a fan of his first solo album @ 1975 Highway Call, and got to see his band up close & personal IIRC 1 Sept 2003 at Indianapolis BBQ fest next to the Masonic Hall. The music fit the menu, that's for sure! Got some excellent photos too.
down technical blind alleys . . .
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

TUBEDUDE wrote:Tina says ike is a badass!
I say Tina is a badass! :lol:
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Sonny Landreth. His tone and technique of fretting notes behind the slide is badass.
cbass

Post by cbass »

CHIP wrote:Sonny Landreth. His tone and technique of fretting notes behind the slide is badass.
I don't think there is anyway to overrate him

Leo I was gonna say dickie but I was scared that everyone would make fun of me.

I don't think any of the guitarist fom skynyrd got enough credit. I had a tape of skynrd doing workin man blues and Steve Gaines absolutely tears it up.At one point Ronny says damn sounds like Roy.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Yup, Steve Gaines was great great player and songwriter and singer.