JTM 60 switching

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Jered

JTM 60 switching

Post by Jered »

Hi guys, I just picked up a JTM 60 2x12. Its stock no mods. I notice on the channel switching, when switching to the clean channel, there is a mili -second of volume increase. I have changed the switch out and it is still doing this. I'm going to change the switch again but if that doesn't work where should I look next? Relay?
Thanks for any help.
Stevem

Re: JTM 60 switching

Post by Stevem »

When you jump the relays audio connections with a clip lead does the same volume jump take place?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Jered

Post by Jered »

I haven't tried that yet. I removed the chassis and started comparing the actual circuit to the schematic and right away I noticed a discrepancy. Schematic shows first and second stages with 1uF cathode bypass caps when they are actually 22uF. So I don't know if this schem is going to help much.
I'm going to replace the switch again if that doesn't help then I will try the jumper on the relay. Thanks for the idea.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

All that the larger 22uf caps do is make for a tad more gain and the frequency response being flat to below the low E string, but at medium to high volume levels they may make for too much low and upper mid break up, so you will likely want to pick a cap value from some .068 uf to the 22uf in the amp now that gets you the best combo of meaty clean tones and creamy brake up when pushing the amp!

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Jered

Post by Jered »

Thanks Stevem. I'm not looking to replace the caps. Was just noting the inaccuracy of the schematic.
I changed the switch again and the problem still persists. Time to open it up.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Just for kicks I would reflow all the solder connections that deal with the powering of that relay and any power feed wires to that switching circuit as if the coil can not pull the current that it needs it will respond slow!

Jered

Post by Jered »

Great! I will do that! Thank you