Rawcab from ebay

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ampmike

Grill

Post by ampmike »

I have to say what a nice job you did!!!!!And the grill cloth deserves a lot of credit.Keeping all your lines straight and tight is not at all easy,You did a fine job Bro,Thanks for sharing,Mikey
dreric

Re: Rawcab from ebay

Post by dreric »

impressive work!

What glue did you use?
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

Wow thanks guys! I have to admit, I would not have shared photos if it did not turn out well :D

I put some speakers in the cab - a Jupiter Ceramic 12" and a vintage Jensen P12 Alnico. I leave on a tour this week and am moving my shop before I go, so no more work on this for a few weeks. I hate to leave loose ends like this!

I used a secret glue recipe that my buddy Daniel at Salvage Custom concocted. There is a stiff penalty for sharing the recipe so unfortunately my lips are sealed. There is mojo in the glue - it was a big part of making it come out well.

Here is a shot with the speakers installed

[IMG:1024:768]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac167/milkmansound/IMG_4343_zps4be9bfcd.jpg[/img]

the idea with this amp is to keep the weight down - so there are 25W speakers installed and the amp will only be about 40-50W cathode biased 6L6. I think it will still be quite loud and pretty badass :D
eddie25

Post by eddie25 »

Arg. I need a secret glue recipe!
award70

Post by award70 »

I have purchased two 2x12 cabs from this ebay seller and they are great quality. I live in the same town as him so I went to his shop to check them out first. He's a nice guy too. He will use woods other than pine if you request it.

If you search rawcabs on ebay you can see all his wares.
Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

and its done!

pretty happy with the results, but right away I can tell the tolex and cloth work is nowhere near the perfection that I get from Mather. I ordered a few more cabs to practice on. Something tells me smaller cabs are easier to cover. Maybe I started with the cart before the horse :D

the good news is that the amp is pretty badass. 40-50W with reverb and tremolo, and fixed mid on both channels. Cathode bias. Fun!

[IMG:1024:1024]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac167/milkmansound/IMG_4425_zps6e272ec9.jpg[/img]

[IMG:768:1024]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac167/milkmansound/IMG_4427_zpsd00e8134.jpg[/img]
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Tim, I think it looks pretty good. One trick I use to get even lines on the grill cloth is to staple one side down evenly to the back of the baffle, and then staple the other to a 1x2 piece of scrap. you can use the wood as leverage to stretch the cloth over the other end, (paying attention to the fabric line, and stapling to the end of the speaker baffle). I then remove the wood, and fold the cloth, and staple it to the back of the baffle.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Well, I think that came out great. I like the chrome jacks (Cliff?), black knobs and the color of the faceplate. A unique twist. Very cool! 8)
ER

Post by ER »

Really nice! Pine cabs are my favorite and Silverface is such a classic look.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Milkmansound wrote:Did another one today...This is far from perfect, but further from bad
Each skill requires this curve. My vinyl dust covers look pretty good now, but did you see that first one? Whoo, wheee.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I won't even comment on the looks of my first tolex attempt. I think I used 2 yards to cover a small combo, before I got it close enough to what I was looking for. I also don't remember how many grills I pulled the staples from trying to get the lines straight!
I think you are on a much faster learning curve that I was, Tim, covering circles is tough, (I do like the 2 tone look).
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Great job! It seems like a crime to cover that beautiful clear pine though.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
teleguy

Post by teleguy »

Those cabs look really nice & well made.
Can anyone help me with the maker's email address.
I need to speak to him off ebay about a different head cab.
He can run the purchase thru ebay if he wants.
I just need to speak to him in detail about what I want.
Can any of you help or put him in touch with me please?
Thank You
teleguy
'64DlxRvb

Post by '64DlxRvb »

Really nice job and great looking amp. I've been going around about buying one of his cabs for two reasons, unfamiliarity with them, and fear of tolex. I think I'm gonna crack at one now though.