Wild new effect

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mlp-mx6

Wild new effect

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
Blackburn

Re: Wild new effect

Post by Blackburn »

I have to say, that thing is AWESOME! I normally don't feel like that about a roadblock between my fiddle and amp, but that thing is really cool! :D
Last edited by Blackburn on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

While that box has some interesting sounds, I think you'll quickly find that playing convincing organ on a guitar is far less than optimal. I have been down a similar road with a guitar synth and other devices. The big issue for me is being able to sustain common tones while changing chords. Like a real organist would do. The organ sound of the EH box is infatuating for a moment, but my experience says it wears off fast and then you are left with a 'bad' organ.
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickC

Post by NickC »

I bought one on the strength of the advert posted above. I tried and tried to like it. I even used it at a band rehearsal. In the final analysis, I doubt I'll ever use it. MIDI guitar with a good B3 patch feels and sounds better (I use a Roland GK rig). The B9 is very unnatural "feeling" from a guitar context. Why spend decades developing nuance and feel, only to have it vanish inside a pedal?

Not my cup of tea.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Well...that was fun...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I use a Roland GR 33 but still would like to try the new EH pedal. Key to keyboard on guitar is hold the chords and notes let them ring out then slowly releasing them otherwise you sound like a guitar player. :)
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I use a Roland GR 33 but still would like to try the new EH pedal. Key to keyboard on guitar is hold the chords and notes let them ring out then slowly releasing them otherwise you sound like a guitar player. Smile

Mark, you're right and it does help. But it is physically impossible to play like the real thing. In my book, it just doesn't work. You can do a quick an approximation, but the physical limitations just can't be overcome.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

vibratoking wrote:
I use a Roland GR 33 but still would like to try the new EH pedal. Key to keyboard on guitar is hold the chords and notes let them ring out then slowly releasing them otherwise you sound like a guitar player. Smile

Mark, you're right and it does help. But it is physically impossible to play like the real thing. In my book, it just doesn't work. You can do a quick an approximation, but the physical limitations just can't be overcome.
Oh I agree doesn't sound nearly as good but makes a 4 piece band sound fuller in these Minnesota and North Dakota bars. :lol:
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

The full sound is a good thing. That's my goal as well. I use a synth which allows me to have both guitar and 'organ' at once, or I use a CLS-222 running through a second amp to get some swirly thickness. I actually like that better cause it's more organic.

I guess that's enough of a derail.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Playing for trigger dynamics is a sport. :)

Throw a piano sound up and let's see how good your technique is.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
billyz

Post by billyz »

The B9 sounds even better with a Leslie or Leslie pedal after it. I tried a lex with it and did not stop playing for an hour. The tracking is great too. For the best results you do need to think like an organ player, don't bend notes, etc. I did not care for the click adjustment though. It did not like a dirt pedal in front much. Maybe after, but did not try. The Classic rock sounds like deep purple anyway, no dirt pedal needed.
My friend is running it into a bass cab and guitar cab, split high and low through my rotosphere, he says it is incredible, and he's playing bass through it.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Throw a piano sound up and let's see how good your technique is.

Got that right. No one's technique is good enough for that.