What solder?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

StratStringSlinger

What solder?

Post by StratStringSlinger »

Hi guys, two part question up for discussion here.

1) What brand/type solder do you use and why?

2) Does anyone know what Mr. Dumble used?
Wayne Liao
xtian

Re: What solder?

Post by xtian »

I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

I use Cardas Quad Eutectic

TM
George61

Post by George61 »

ToneMerc wrote:I use Cardas Quad Eutectic

TM
Me too. Love the stuff. I also have a container of Cardas Rosin Flux Soldering Paste.

Solder on,
George
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I use whatever I can take from work. The performance to price ratio is infinite.
StratStringSlinger

Post by StratStringSlinger »

Bonus question/out of curiosity. Besides actual performance of how it flows/holds things together. Do any of you feel the type of solder has an effect on sound?
Wayne Liao
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Do any of you feel the type of solder has an effect on sound?
No, I don't. I don't think it has anymore effect on sound then the soldering iron does.

With respect, 10thtx
Smitty

All you need to know...

Post by Smitty »

67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

Smitty, that's a fact our aerospace products we are required to use pure gold not .99%
but pure and at least 34 electro plates on the circuit boards. If it's not pure it won't flow properly or even . I have used AG wire and coax in some of my amp builds and can't tell any sound difference.
Copper wire and Kester rosin core solder is fine for guitar amps. Look at a early untouched Marshall amp red lacquer on the finished inspected solder joints. May well be used to help prevent metal wishkering.
I use whatever I can take from work. The performance to price ratio is infinite.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Time to change your name to Vibrato-Theif :D :D :D :D :D
George61

Post by George61 »

A good technical paper on why tin and gold don't play together well.

There used to be a good paper on the Cardas website about eutectic (63/37) solder but it's gone. 60/40 solder is not eutectic.

I personally feel there is no reason to use gold plated anything in a classic amp build. There's a good post about whiskers in this thread.

Activated rosin flux seems to work best. Kester "44" solder has been the industry standard for electronics for the last 40+ years and since it is still available in the USA, I feel it's a good choice for classic amp builds. .031 diameter seems to be a one size fits all. At three times the price, Cardas Quad Eutectic solder adds silver and copper to the alloy, which may or may not make a difference. I seriously doubt that it does.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kes ... dpuw%3d%3d

Solder on,
George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by George61 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
AtomCap

re

Post by AtomCap »

For building/servicing tube amps with turret boards, eyelets, ptp etc- one can't go wrong with Kester 60/40 or 63/37- .031" dia-

For pcb reworks I've been using kester no clean or organic water soluble flux core - only because you don't have to commit time to mopping up puddles of flux. On most newer style pcb's flux puddles aren't as much of an issue, but on raw material like in vintage pedals etc, the rosin flux eats the pcb. Generally speaking it can take a half hour to clean up a pcb nicely. the no clean is tricky to work with as is the organic core, iron needs to be really stable and not drift/loose temps while feeding solder- once thats figured out your golden

The Cardas, its nice- But I suspect it may be re-branded WBT Solder as they're both similar in smell, flux color, feel, flow, Really think George C concocted a solder recipe?? Or did they just find some company to re-brand solder for them??

Wonder solder, I suspect to be re-branded radio shack solder.
But radio shack sells re-branded lower end kester.

Aside Kester- Neither of the above mentioned brands have ever produced evidence of actually 1, manufacturing their own solder, 2 disclosing a custom recipe made by ____.

With all the excess regulation today in the USA and the insane import/export laws its safe to say the amount of companies making solder or anything with high lead content, is minimal
ToneMerc

Re: re

Post by ToneMerc »

AtomCap wrote:The Cardas, its nice- But I suspect it may be re-branded WBT Solder as they're both similar in smell, flux color, feel, flow, Really think George C concocted a solder recipe?? Or did they just find some company to re-brand solder for them??
The Cardas Quad is definitely not WBT, the Cardas Tri E might be . I tried the WBT and can't stand the smell.

TM
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

67plexi wrote:Copper wire and Kester rosin core solder is fine for guitar amps. Look at a early untouched Marshall amp red lacquer on the finished inspected solder joints. May well be used to help prevent metal wishkering.
'zackly.

http://www.glyptal.com/Glyptal_Product_Data_Sheets.htm
David Root

Post by David Root »

+1 on the Cardas Quad Eutectic. Has got real pricey lately but at least it's not yet unobtainium.
sepulchre

Re: All you need to know...

Post by sepulchre »

Is this a reason to goop like HAD?