Is the real Trainwreck amp sound much better than clones?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Alan0354

Is the real Trainwreck amp sound much better than clones?

Post by Alan0354 »

I read on another forum that Ken had secret in building the amps that no clones can compare. That people been trying to copy and failed. Is that over stated?

If it is true, anyone know the reason?
M Fowler

Re: Is the real Trainwreck amp sound much better than clones

Post by M Fowler »

Alan0354 wrote:I read on another forum that Ken had secret in building the amps that no clones can compare. That people been trying to copy and failed. Is that over stated?

If it is true, anyone know the reason?
And if you go to Dr Z Forum only Mike Zaite can build good amps according to his fan base and there is nothing wrong with that because Mike Z is a great guy and builder.

The same goes for other's Fuch's, Egnator, etc....

I like to think that Ken F. could build a Trainwreck like no other because of his talent and ability to hear things others didn't.

I do however feel there are lots of great clones already built and more being built as we speak. :)

Mark
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Alan0354 wrote:I read on another forum that Ken had secret in building the amps that no clones can compare. That people been trying to copy and failed. Is that over stated?
Yes.
Alan0354 wrote:If it is true, anyone know the reason?
Some people live in the land of Hyperbole.
Ken Moon

Re: Is the real Trainwreck amp sound much better than clones?

Post by Ken Moon »

Only Alexander Dumble can explain the magic.

It has something to do with Crystal Meth and Lettuce, but it's way over my head.
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

Thanks, keep the opinions coming. I myself don't buy it when someone told me that you can look at the real amp, copy component by component, wire by wire and still don't sound the same. That I have issue believing.

I believe in mojo and certain touch, but it is still electronics and if you copy to that point, you got to be able to reproduce the same quality sound. May not be 100% exact, but I bet even the real thing might not sound 100% the same from amp to amp.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Alan0354 wrote:I read on another forum...
So what's the other forum? 8)
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

Zippy wrote:
Music electronics. Person that started the thread is a knowledgeable person, not some crazy dude!!! That's the reason I take it serious and post the thread here.

I am kind of new in the game, but I am a long time EE. I do know there is a lot of mojo that we EE has to learn. But still, this is electronics, you can have mojo, but not miracle.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Alan0354 wrote:
Zippy wrote:
Music electronics. Person that started the thread is a knowledgeable person, not some crazy dude!!! That's the reason I take it serious and post the thread here.

I am kind of new in the game, but I am a long time EE. I do know there is a lot of mojo that we EE has to learn. But still, this is electronics, you can have mojo, but not miracle.
Thank you, and welcome!

Look 'round here a bit, and you'll find some people that are really doing the homework - not only to duplicate the schematics/layouts, but to dig into what makes the nuances in tone. Turns out that the transformers are key in dialing in tone - as well as tube selection.

And yes, there is also solid knowledge that Ken didn't make every amp sound exactly the same - but he did have some very consistent techniques that he applied to his builds, as well as keen ears and skill.
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

Zippy wrote:
Alan0354 wrote:
Zippy wrote: So what's the other forum? 8)

Thank you, and welcome!

Look 'round here a bit, and you'll find some people that are really doing the homework - not only to duplicate the schematics/layouts, but to dig into what makes the nuances in tone. Turns out that the transformers are key in dialing in tone - as well as tube selection.

And yes, there is also solid knowledge that Ken didn't make every amp sound exactly the same - but he did have some very consistent techniques that he applied to his builds, as well as keen ears and skill.
Thanks for the heads up, you have any link handy here that point me into the discussion the nuances?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Here's one of 'em:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24638

Look 'round Trainwreck Discussion and search on transformers.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Enjoy!
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

Zippy wrote:Here's one of 'em:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24638

Look 'round Trainwreck Discussion and search on transformers.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Enjoy!
Thank you very much, I'll read them.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Alan - welcome to the forum. Do you, and us, a favor and do your homework. The new guys are expected to use the search function and educate themselves by reading the previous threads. Guys that skip that step are viewed as the type that want all the answers without making any effort on their own. Hard to escape that once you have established it. There are many years worth of posts and your question(s) have all been asked and answered numerous times. You have only heard one side, but you will find the other side represented as well. Then you'll have to decide for yourself. Glad to have you here.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Oh! and unless your an insomniac, stay away from the Dumble section.
It will devour big chunks of your time.
And welcome.
Why Aye Man
BLT

Post by BLT »

I'm going to echo the King and just say, once you start the search through the "Garage" you will not only find solutions, but even more questions. Think of a tube amp question, search it out and along that thread expect at least one more question to pop up. It's very addictive!
BLT
jazbo8

Post by jazbo8 »

vibratoking wrote:Alan - welcome to the forum. Do you, and us, a favor and do your homework. The new guys are expected to use the search function and educate themselves by reading the previous threads... Glad to have you here.
You are too kind since you do not know him yet... be prepared to be bombarded with noob questions that you would think a 40-year EE ought to know, sigh... :roll: