Two Rock/Dumble build parts list

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

megatrav

Re: Two Rock/Dumble build parts list

Post by megatrav »

beasleybodyshop wrote:Yes, in my opinion it would be easier. The two rock stuff still requires you to do some guesswork on making boards, components, layout, etc. you will spend a lot of time, maybe even substantially more as a beginner dealing with the frustrations of an unknown or unconfirmed layout. The D"lite is a very straightforward build, and the normster variant is a confirmed known entity. You can build one of those off of the layout alone and probably not run into real issues.

I did a TR sig amp layout and posted it here somewhere, it's what I used and it's still so full of errors that took me a lot of hours to flesh out. I say go with the known quantity and work up from there.
Okay cool. I will take your word for it since you seem to be an experienced builder. So, here are my questions, where can I get a schematic and Bill of materials needed for a Normster? Is it one or two channels, and if so, is it possible to make it just one channel for a simpler circuit? And finally, would it be possible to just build it with a buffered effects loop in it instead of adding/buying/building a "dumbleator" type buffer?

Thank you so much for your responses.
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Use the search function on the site to find older threads.

I don't know about experienced, but starting off for the first time on a known layout will be more satisfying initially. Once you get it built you will naturally want to make tweaks, and through doing that you inevitably learn more about creating tone that just reading posts from real amp makers on TAG for a few years like i do :D
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
tag101

Post by tag101 »

megatrav wrote:
martin manning wrote:
To be truthful, I am more interested in building a Two Rock clone because from what I've played, the one channel models have an amazing clean and they pretty much stay that way,

I agree. Two Rocks do have GREAT cleans. Much better than Dumbles IMO. Not sure how or why, but the Emerald Pros, Customs, Opal, and other early Trocks have Dumble like drive channels, and insane cleans. I still have an Emerald pro, and the cleans rival the best fenders I can find, and the drive channel rivals most of the better Dumbles I have played. (Around a dozen) I like the old two channel cleans better than the newer single channel twoRocks by a good margin!
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

The Manzamp! might be worth considering. I realize it's closer to 50W, but if you're looking for a clean amp, more power is usually a good thing, in my opinion. Here's the link: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht=manzamp
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

megatrav wrote: So, here are my questions, where can I get a schematic and Bill of materials needed for a Normster? Is it one or two channels, and if so, is it possible to make it just one channel for a simpler circuit? And finally, would it be possible to just build it with a buffered effects loop in it instead of adding/buying/building a "dumbleator" type buffer?

Here's the D'Lite 16x8x2 version and the original Normster 6V6 layout, which not so simple at all for a complete newbie. In reality its closer to the full blown ODS topology as so is the gelded ODS D'Lite circuits. If you are going to go this route just get a kit from Ceriatone or but chassis and boards from Marsh.

I pointed you towards the Small Special earlier but you glossed right over it.

If you know absolutely noting about the circuit topology and really the role of the buffered FX with theses circuits, then why are you chasing the fluff of a buffered effects loop at this point?

Your needs to seems to full of contrasts;i want a simple circuit, easy virgin build, but full featured, inexpensive and I want it to sound like a TR.

IMHO for the first build KISS or simply buy a Two Rock.

TM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

ToneMerc wrote: IMHO for the first build KISS or simply buy a Two Rock.
TM
I agree with Tonemerc
if you are really going to jump into tube amps
maybe start with reading some basic intro stuff
this is the reading on steroids link:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9023

Then depending on budget, buy a kit with complete parts
and documentation or scratch build a well documented fairly simple circuit(low part count)like the Small Special for the cleans.
If all goes well you will be hooked and building everything you can.
Caution no one warned me of this addiction.
my 2 cents

Darin
megatrav

Post by megatrav »

My apologies guys. I get over zealous sometimes. I didn't mean to drive everyone so crazy with all the questions and everything I wanted to know.

I didn't mean to pass up what you were saying out the small special amp. I must have just looked over it.

I think the best thing for me to do is simply look at building something more simple like a pedal first. They are cheap and don't require nearly as much to dive into.

The guy who is helping me is actually the one doing the amp building. I am simply trying to find out info. I didn't mean to piss anyone off haha.

I will try to do more research and less flooding the forum with new questions until I have learned more.

I am also planning to start school next fall for Electrical Engineering. Its something I have wanted to do for a long time and I will finally have the chance to next year.

Thanks again for all the help you guys have provided. I'm sorry again if I offended any of you, It was not my intention. Sometimes I type before I think!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

But don't give up! Building a pedal would be a good first step, then move on to an amp. If your shop owner friend can get parts for you at dealer prices, take advantage of that. Practical experience will serve you well in your degree program, and IMO that is something that is sorely lacking in this day and age.
beasleybodyshop

Check out Mad Bean pedals, they sell PCBs for effects projects and offer lots of documentation.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

No don't give up. I was you 18 months ago, well a little older. I started building some pedals, then I bought a 5w amp kit and built that. I've just finished a beautiful JTM45 with buffered FX loop and am now putting together the parts for a ODS as we speak.

People here on this forum really helped trouble shoot my JT45 when I had problems and I learned a hell of a lot in the process.

step by step :)

Marcus
megatrav

Post by megatrav »

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I am going to start off with a small build, or possibly a Ceriatone OTS or OTS mini. They are pretty cool and have awesome reviews and clips online. I am a little bummed about there not being any Two Rock schematics. I might be crazy, but I like the tone of those a lot more from I've heard and I've actually gotten to play a couple, but I couldn't justify the paying the price for one at this stage in my life.

Maybe one day I will though. I know the OTS are great amps and get very similar tones without reverb and an added OD channel.

And who know, I might be able to come up with an idea for adding a buffered effects loop (it's kind of crutial for my delay usage) or I can always buy/build a dumbleator later.

Thanks for listening and dropping in ideas and two cents. I am also interested in the Small special, I just need to hear one first!
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

megatrav wrote:My apologies guys. I get over zealous sometimes. I didn't mean to drive everyone so crazy with all the questions and everything I wanted to know.

I didn't mean to pass up what you were saying out the small special amp. I must have just looked over it.

I think the best thing for me to do is simply look at building something more simple like a pedal first. They are cheap and don't require nearly as much to dive into.

The guy who is helping me is actually the one doing the amp building. I am simply trying to find out info. I didn't mean to piss anyone off haha.

I will try to do more research and less flooding the forum with new questions until I have learned more.

I am also planning to start school next fall for Electrical Engineering. Its something I have wanted to do for a long time and I will finally have the chance to next year.

Thanks again for all the help you guys have provided. I'm sorry again if I offended any of you, It was not my intention. Sometimes I type before I think!
You have no reason to apologize and I don't think you offended anyone either. FWIW, it wasn't my intent to be a such a killjoy, just really pushing that maybe you should crawl a bit first.

I wouldn't rule out not building an amp either, a simple Fender 5F1 champ while not as sexy, has the core foundations of a much more complex build. Do yourself a favor, cut that "guy" out of the loop and do it yourself, it will more rewarding in the end.

TM
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

I started with a Trainwreck Rocket from the other side of the forum...it's very well documented and a good place to start.

Lots of secrets in Dumbleland...make some amp friends before going down that road.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
drew

Post by drew »

megatrav wrote:
And who know, I might be able to come up with an idea for adding a buffered effects loop (it's kind of crutial for my delay usage) or I can always buy/build a dumbleator later.
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25351
beasleybodyshop

The TR John Mayer Sig is the clean channel of an ODS almost note for note - They use a sleeker package for the whole thing IMO

You can always build the amp, and then buy a discrete Effects loop for ease of use:

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Mojot ... CqZjPldWcU

I see nothing wrong with that idea.

Ditto on the earlier post about the Trainwreck. Look at youtube videos for the Rocket - You might find that appealing.

Anyone have a link to a dumble small special sound clip? I too would be interested in a sound sample.