Trem Noise

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

C Moore

Trem Noise

Post by C Moore »

I searched "tremolo"...but cannot find much concerning the Dlx Rev Reissue.
Access to the tone controls is not very easy.
Lead dress in the reissue amps looks "better" to me than in the originals. The wires are short, and go straight to the board. Plate wires from the Trem tube do not come close to grid wires for the PI tube. I moved them here and there...but it had no effect
The Trem ticks pretty loud whenever it is on. Is there a "fix" for this in the new Reissue amps.?
Actually.....was just playing around with lead dress a bit more aggressively, on just the Trem Tube itself... and I can effect a pretty big change. These wires are all pretty short, if I install a longer plate and grid wire, I may be able to cure or vastly improve this. Shielded cable may also be a help...either by itself, or in addition to the lead dress "improvement".
Not sure about a capacitive cure on the 10M resistor. Would not take much effort to jumper something in there I guess...and see what happens.
Still open to suggestion and your Experiences/Opinions of course.
Thank You
C Moore

Re: Trem Noise

Post by C Moore »

Boy...I thought there would be all kinds of similar scenarios, with one of their most successful amps of today. :)
Have not gone any further with this...too many balls in the air at present.
Guess I will have to decide to either pull the wires off the socket pins, and splice some length...or do it the "right" way.
I have not really looked at this too hard, but i think that would entail quite a bit of work. being of the wave solder era of mass production...the soldering is all done from underneath. Might be a PITA to get the board up in the air...but I will see.
Probably put some 1 Ohm Cat resistors on the power tubes while I am complaining....... :wink:
It was kind of a pain to check the bias...had to pull a spade connector. I could not get a decent Ohm Reading from the SB Switch.
I have 2 meters, an Amprobe and an Extech.

http://extech.com/instruments/product.a ... prodid=625

http://www.amprobe.com/amprobe/usen/Mul ... ?PID=73034

I never seem to get a consistent reading when I shunt the OT...so I have always just measured Ohms and Volts for each half of the OT.
Guess that is a topic for a different discussion....... :)
Thanks
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The .01 @ 600 volt Mylar cap tweak will help and although I have not proved this out I think decoupling that trem stage more thru a 2K resistor and another 20uf filter would kill it altogether !
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

Stevem wrote:The .01 @ 600 volt Mylar cap tweak will help and although I have not proved this out I think decoupling that trem stage more thru a 2K resistor and another 20uf filter would kill it altogether !
Yeah...a friend of mine was just saying something similar.
Thanks.
As for the ever popular "Google is your friend reply".....yeah, I know what google says, and most of it is in regards to a BF/SF Fender.....which the 10-15 I have fixed, all got fixed with a simple lead dress change. But THAT is much harder to access on a RI. I have never liked the capacitive fixes, because, like I said, I have always found lead dress between Oscillator and PI to be the cure.
Thanks
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

Well.....FWIW..... :)
I pulled the board up on One Side, and took a peek.
Those razor thin traces and pads were waiting for me. Even when i switch to a 600 Degree pencil tip, I still lift one once in a while. I decided to avoid any desoldering.
I have heard it said that some guys clipped the Cat by-pass cap on the LDR tube..... and they got great results. If that Did Not work, I was going to have a heck of a time soldering a new cap back onto the old leads leads. So I avoided that as well.
I have never liked, or had good luck with the two most common, capacitive "solutions". Lead dress has always been my best result getter.
But there is not much wire length to work with on these Reissue amps.....I did the best i could. I zip-tied two of the wires together, and then isolated them (as much as i could) from the rest of the flying leads.
It cut the Trem Thumping by (probabaly) 70%.
You really only notice it if you are in a quiet room, no guitar plugged in, and the V...S...I...pots, all hitting on 6-7.
Who plays guitar like that.?
Soooo.......problem solved for now.
He just needs a new speaker.
It could well just be my ears...but I never seem to care for that Jensen C12K speaker.....especially when the Volume Knob gets turned to gigging volumes.
best
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I don't care much for that speaker also, it seems the harder its driven the more that mid fatness comes out in a wrong spot !
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!