Vox CC2 cutting out intermittently

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jaysg

Vox CC2 cutting out intermittently

Post by jaysg »

I worked on this amp about a month ago. It cuts out with no sound when it's in the cabinet. It hasn't melted down the output. The owner and I have played it extensively with the guts pulled out and it doesn't cut out, so I figure it's vibration related. Any experience with this or better ideas?

I'll be getting it back soon and will try to reproduce the problem -- at least I'll know whether or not there's still amp hiss. I will study the standby switch and clean all the connectors....maybe I can remove the vents somehow, so I can see in while the thing is on.
xtian

Re: Vox CC2 cutting out intermittently

Post by xtian »

Vintage Fender amps have given me trouble with in-cabinet-only bugs. One was a cracked ground connection where it was soldered to the chassis. I finally realized that grabbing the chassis with hands on opposing end and tweaking the chassis like an ice cube tray (having trouble describing this simple action!) revealed the issue.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Stevem

Re: Vox CC2 cutting out intermittently

Post by Stevem »

Does it cut out, or fad out?
Fad out would be due to loosing the heater voltage!
It may not be vibration related as it may be just a slight raise in the heat level, so pull the amp out and go over it with a blow dryer.
Before you do that though if you have or can get loan of a thermal gun use it to keep track of the temp the amp gets to in the cabinet when it craps out and the reproduce that with the hair dryer with it out of the cabinet!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!