New HRM build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ic-racer

Re: New HRM build

Post by ic-racer »

I spent about a year remodeling my music area. So I hadn't played this amp for quite some time. This is a recent recording of the amp. The amp sounded pretty gritty compared to my #124 and I wanted to record it with all that coarseness and grittyness. The clip gets good at the end when I plug into the FET input.
Last edited by ic-racer on Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
xtian

Post by xtian »

ic-racer wrote:( *** sound recording clip here *** )
Sounds...transparent?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

xtian wrote:
Sounds...transparent?
Problem with the upload and recording.

Here is the link. This thing rocks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mdRtkfdhI
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Yup. RAWKS! :)
groovtubin

HRM

Post by groovtubin »

ic-racer wrote:
xtian wrote:
Sounds...transparent?
Problem with the upload and recording.

Here is the link. This thing rocks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mdRtkfdhI
would love to jam with you here at church! My HRM is a serious hi gain affair!
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Wow what a tone, is there a schematic of your build? and which amp did you base your build off?

Cheers
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

lovetone wrote:Wow what a tone, is there a schematic of your build? and which amp did you base your build off?

Cheers
Thanks for chiming in. Just so you don't have to read through all the pages. As far as I know it is very close, if not exactly a "real" schematic based on an amp 200 to 250 serial number and the schematic is posted earlier in the thread.

I got confidential info from various sources on this build and all info I know is included in this thread, however, I have not indicated what is known and what is unknown to protect that information.

There were posts about the HRM trimmers earlier but this is how they were set for the recent video:

Treble: to treble cut slightly
Mid: to middle on the dial
Bass: to 32k ohm

Note: I was testing my EL34 Marshall amp and realized that for my cabinet, playing style and guitar it sounds best with the tone controls in the middle. So I wanted to try setting my HRM trimmers to the middle with some treble cut.
The Treble and Mid are linear in both Marshall and HRM, but the Bass is log taper in the Marshall. So the question was, "where is the 'middle' of the Bass trimmer on the HRM?" On a log scale the half-way point between zero and 1000 is about 32.

The pictures of the original show the FET trimmer glued to "max on" and the OD trimmer glued to just 11:00.
When I set my amp to that configuration, and plug into the FET input, the OD DRIVE knob on the front of the amp is beautifully balanced with "12:00" giving the tones used in the last video clip. Cranking the knob goes into extreme OD and backing off gives a fantastic Larry Carlton dynamic sustain.

BTW I set the PI trimmer on clean by listening for the best ringing 'bell tone' on the open e-string.
Last edited by ic-racer on Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Thanks for the into

I have built one HRM amp using the same schematic and the schematic 101 HRM it was a very nice sounding amp.

To set the HRM tone stack I got best results using a scope.

The amp was setup so that the PAB was engaged at the same time as OD I then using 1K signal I adjusted the HRM tone stack until the trace resembled that of a standard ODS amp.

Hey Presto it had perfect OD tone, i remember that the bass pot was only just on and that it effected the mid and treble depending where you set it.

The problem i had was that the OD output was quite compared to the clean other than that it has great tone.

Cheers
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

I'm continuing to explore this amp with my new recording setup.

Here is a jam along with Robben's Blue line. Robben is mixed in the background. Main amp in the audio track is this HRM. Robben is probably playing #102 in the background. Much different sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA2cPye9P0U
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

This is a track I did with this amp a while back. Guitar is a Stratocaster.

https://youtu.be/3fA1YYqq7FY
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Nice! Very smooth and lots of depth.
bnwitt

Confidential Info?

Post by bnwitt »

I will never understand the reason for confidential info in a clone amp building forum. Anyone who thinks information should be kept confidential can only believe so based on three reasons:

1. out of respect for the original designer (which is BS if you are building your own clone as that is not respectful) or

2. because they think they can make more money building and selling clones if secrets are kept.

3. if posted said secrets what cause a lawsuit to be filed against the forum

I mean seriously, we all know that the way to make a million dollars building amps is to start with two million. So having dispelled two out of the three reasons, is HAD prone to suing over clones? A clone is no where near a HAD built amp in our wildest dreams. So what is the reason in here?
Great things happen in a vacuum
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

4.) Trust

Forums are interactions between human beings. Many laudable interpersonal relationships have trust as a foundation.
bnwitt

What?

Post by bnwitt »

ic-racer wrote:4.) Trust

Forums are interactions between human beings. Many laudable interpersonal relationships have trust as a foundation.
Of course I understand if someone asks you not to share you are trusted and don't share. My post is regarding why someone asks you not to share in the first place.
Last edited by bnwitt on Thu May 21, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great things happen in a vacuum
Structo

Post by Structo »

The problem stemmed from a certain amp company in Malaysia that used data from this site to build much of their product line.

I think what was hurtful was that the man never acknowledged this forum or any other credit to individuals that provided information.

Also customers of said amp company would come here for tech support, rather than the forum provided by the manufacturer.

It's just a little niggle. :wink:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!