Power Switch Washer

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

Power Switch Washer

Post by Littlewyan »

Simple question. When I installed a power switch in my amp I had a nut on the inside and then a nut on the outside but no washer. Where would you put a washer and what type? I thought of putting a shakeproof on the inside but can't see it making much difference.
Stevem

Re: Power Switch Washer

Post by Stevem »

Unless you want to mess up the face if the amp you want the wave washer on the inside !
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Usually I will either use the knurled beauty nuts or a ext tooth lock washer on the inside as spacers and the low profile Carling switch washer on the front.

TM
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

I go lock washer on the inside and Watts sells washers(I'm sure they can be found at general hardware places) that fit over the 1/4" switches for the outside, so when you're tightening the nut and you slip you don't ruin your new faceplate. I've never done that. Never tried to fill it in hopelessly with a sharpie, either.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I remove the inside nut install a 1/2" internal star washer on the power switch and beauty washer on outside then outside hex nut.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

You can also buy keyway tab washers that have an internal tooth that mates with the slot on the switch and has an anti-rotation tab that fits in a small hole in the chassis, just like the anti-rotation tabs on pots.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Also star washers with the lock tab as well. http://www.industrialtrading.co.uk/products/3286.aspx
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Great thanks guys. Unfortunately none of the hardware shops over here sell shake proof washers big enough for the switch. Ebay it is!

Smokebreak - To avoid ruining my faceplate I put electrical tape over the ends of my pliers. Makes it bit harder to tighten the nut but if you slip you dont damage anything :).
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If you have enough shaft length than place another nut on the inside and tighten the switch down from that nut.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Smokebreak wrote:I go lock washer on the inside and Watts sells washers(I'm sure they can be found at general hardware places) that fit over the 1/4" switches for the outside, so when you're tightening the nut and you slip you don't ruin your new faceplate. I've never done that. Never tried to fill it in hopelessly with a sharpie, either.
Deep socket nut drivers are a faceplate's best friend.