Really?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

beasleybodyshop

Really?

Post by beasleybodyshop »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Fender-Bla ... 1462555945

Seller even admits they are blistering. Saw this on facebook. And it SOLD. WOW.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
Phil_S

Re: Really?

Post by Phil_S »

I've got a bridge for sale. It used to span the East River...pssttt, buddy, have I got a deal for ya.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Might be useful if someone wanted to stuff them with new caps to keep an amp original looking .
DLR is a Captain beefheart wannabe
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

A museum piece would be the only reasonable explanation for that purchase. All looks and no play make that one sad amp. I doubt it'll be on display anywhere with its guts showing lol. Buyer deserves whatever happens, but I feel for the amp. Isn't there some kind of ASPCA for amplifiers? Acronym doesn't need to change either... American Society for the Protection of Amplifiers. Add a V in there for vintage amps... ASPCVA. Swift and thorough confiscation by means of brute force. :idea:
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Well, if you're selling a '66 DR that's been recapped and re-corded, being able to include the "original" caps and cord could bring more than $33 extra in price. People are funny.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I think its cool for old amps to look original but I'm kinda of a weirdo
DLR is a Captain beefheart wannabe
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Blackburn wrote:A museum piece would be the only reasonable explanation for that purchase. All looks and no play make that one sad amp. I doubt it'll be on display anywhere with its guts showing lol. Buyer deserves whatever happens, but I feel for the amp. Isn't there some kind of ASPCA for amplifiers? Acronym doesn't need to change either... American Society for the Protection of Amplifiers. Add a V in there for vintage amps... ASPCVA. Swift and thorough confiscation by means of brute force. :idea:
Yeah but then your museum piece doesn't have original solder joints.. Damn I'm missing out myself I'm going to start selling my clipped caps if the owners don't want them!
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

It's funny you mention the original solder joints because that's something I almost commented on. Fender had those solder balls that didn't seem to adhere to the eyelets. They're all over my '66 PR and replicating those would be tough. Charging people to replicate original solder joints... :lol:
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Cliff Schecht wrote:
Blackburn wrote:A museum piece would be the only reasonable explanation for that purchase. All looks and no play make that one sad amp. I doubt it'll be on display anywhere with its guts showing lol. Buyer deserves whatever happens, but I feel for the amp. Isn't there some kind of ASPCA for amplifiers? Acronym doesn't need to change either... American Society for the Protection of Amplifiers. Add a V in there for vintage amps... ASPCVA. Swift and thorough confiscation by means of brute force. :idea:
Yeah but then your museum piece doesn't have original solder joints.. Damn I'm missing out myself I'm going to start selling my clipped caps if the owners don't want them!
You have to "relic" the solder joints.

...Don't ask me how, I am just making this stuff up, but I am sure someone out there has done it.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Gibsonman63 wrote:
Cliff Schecht wrote:
You have to "relic" the solder joints.

...Don't ask me how, I am just making this stuff up, but I am sure someone out there has done it.
I was going to post something similar. Old solder joints don't have the luster that modern ones have. It's usually obvious when they aren't original, the builders of yonder years were at least consistent throughout each amp they built so original from non-original is really easy to spot.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Just solder them from the bottom. Done.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Somebody probably bought those to stuff new caps inside to retain the vintage look. :roll:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Blackburn wrote:It's funny you mention the original solder joints because that's something I almost commented on. Fender had those solder balls that didn't seem to adhere to the eyelets. They're all over my '66 PR and replicating those would be tough. Charging people to replicate original solder joints... :lol:
Like jelle said: solder the board component side down = Fender "solder balls." Tough effect to get, component side up.

Dab with vinegar to get aged look. Extra points for balsamic, gets that extra funky look.
down technical blind alleys . . .