Iskra resistors -these legit?

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RockinRocket

Iskra resistors -these legit?

Post by RockinRocket »

These iskra resistors dont look right to me. The 2 watts look way bigger than the 1/2 watts ive ssen in 60s 70s marshalls. Maybe the 1/2 watts are 1/3 watts? Or are the 2 watts 5 watts? I want to order from this guy but he thinks marshall used 1 watts as the plate resistors and these other concerns are making me question ordering these. what you think folks?

Also Marshall used 1/2 watts correct an no 1/3 watts? and 2 watts as the dropping resistors? In photos of superleads the can capacitor resistors look bigger than the 2 watts on the board. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help and any information regarding old marshall resistors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231402374903?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
schaublin65

Re: Iskra resistors -these legit?

Post by schaublin65 »

Hi,

my superlead has Pihers.

The cap resistors are just a little short of 24mm long and 8mm diameter.

The 10K board resistors are 16mm long and a little less than 7mm diameter.

Not exactly the answer you were looking for but might help?

Take care...

John
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Thanks John that does help. I new my mind wasnt playing tricks on me :D . Those 2 watts dont look right im thinking.
schaublin65

Post by schaublin65 »

Hi,

just had a look at the link. Wow. $$$ :shock:

I think they are surely real Iskras. They were made somewhere in that part of the world if I remember correctly. Iskra is "spark" in russian.

The list of values looks a bit strange. I thought Marshall built some very early amps with 1W resistors and then 1/2W after that. The 2W 10K are very hard to find.

I'm not obsessive enough to be an expert. Hopefully one of the people here who have built clones can give you better advice.

Take care....

John
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Legit. Cheap, even, if you care. I have paid more. I have paid less.

I don't see any big ones to balance the filters at a glance.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

RockinRocket wrote:These iskra resistors dont look right to me. The 2 watts look way bigger than the 1/2 watts ive ssen in 60s 70s marshalls. Maybe the 1/2 watts are 1/3 watts? Or are the 2 watts 5 watts? I want to order from this guy but he thinks marshall used 1 watts as the plate resistors and these other concerns are making me question ordering these. what you think folks?

Also Marshall used 1/2 watts correct an no 1/3 watts? and 2 watts as the dropping resistors? In photos of superleads the can capacitor resistors look bigger than the 2 watts on the board. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help and any information regarding old marshall resistors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231402374903?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
They are real Iskras. The very later ones did decrease in physical size for he same wattage. If you intend to mainly stare at the inside of the chassis, then you could hold out in hopes of maybe finding a 100% correct packaged set, but be prepared to pay maybe twice as much.

FWIW, Iskras were made Yugoslavia.

TM
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Thats what I was thinking. How about the wattage thats what im really concerned about. Whan I messaged him I didnt get a clear answer. the 2 watts look crazy big to the photos ive seen. So im kinda thinking maybe the half watts are 1/3 watts. Or maybe the 2 watts are 5 watts. I actually have Pihers saved for a build but Im trying to do up my 18 watt with Iskas and hes the only one whos got 1/2 watt!
schaublin65

Post by schaublin65 »

Hi,

the shots of the resistors in the link and the list of values seem consistent.

There are 10K 2W Iskras on ebay.uk and the dimensions are bigger than the equivalent Pihers.

The list includes only one 100K 1/2W. I looked at the "medium" sized resistors in the link and picked a 1/2W that seemed to be the same code out of my own Piher stash. 100.1K says the meter. So five 100K 1W. As per the list.

So, if these are the plate loads for the preamp and the idea that the "Marshall Sound" is dependent on 1/2W values is what you're chasing, then you will still need some 100K 1/2W Iskras.

Only you know what vintage correctness is worth to you.

Take care...

John
rp

Post by rp »

Only you know what vintage correctness is worth to you.

:) worthy of a t-shirt, or a fortune cookie.
schaublin65

Post by schaublin65 »

Hi,

[worthy of a t-shirt, or a fortune cookie.]

Apologies if what I said seemed offensive to anyone.

Take care....

John
rp

Post by rp »

schaublin65 wrote:Hi,

[worthy of a t-shirt, or a fortune cookie.]

Apologies if what I said seemed offensive to anyone.

Take care....

John
On the contrary, I thought it was great in a nutshell phrase of cloning and vintage parts fixation. I bet the T-shirts would sell well at a hamfest.
billyoung

I dont think the resistors affect tone much.

Post by billyoung »

I dont think the resistors affect tone much. If they do it would be ones in signal path ...68k inputs 470 or 220 mixer resistors. That being said I see
them being sold some are carbon composition and some are metal film, the
vintage fanatics go for period correct carbon compositions, i believe. From what
I know and have experienced film resistors dont introduce noise and interence like comp resisitors do. Buy a few and try them record A B new versus old,
Irska versus Caca brand, I hear amps with new film resistors that sound fabulous none of the noise and interference.h

If your going to spend $150 get signal caps now those transform amps.
One used to see vintage marshalls on ebay with a fresh "cap job" toss away
all those toneful caps, put in orange drops. Its like fingernails on black board.
Or gallo wines, granted if you make pruple jesus with owsley lsd and mogen david...you will get a buzz but this aint daddys vintage pino noir. Orange drops
to me have the least tonalality of any signal cap, i am sure are caps with less color , but i think you totally trash a nice marshall lading it with orange drops
while the tech stashes the mustard caps in his safeut . I think signal caps cant affect tone more than transformers but less than speaker choice.

just my .02

I just put 60 s mustard tone cap (125 volt no good for amp) in my $50 ibanez trasher man its a new guitar now. it also has 50's tiger cap too.
Now its fun to play ....sounds bithing , with its blade in bridge. Tone caps in guitars seem very overlooked, A CTS pot versus Alpha will be hard to differentiate, but nice tone caps are in your face, so are the prices. I got
a bag of .02 black cats 1600 v (huge suckers) and i love 'em

bill young