Convert 5E3 clone to 18w 1974x??

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pops

Re: Convert 5E3 clone to 18w 1974x??

Post by pops »

Try lifting the cathode caps off the preamp, will take a lot of wooffy bass away especially if you are not turning the volume way up as you will lose power. You can also make them smaller and will clean the bass up but lose less.
The world is a better place just for your smile.
rp

Post by rp »

If I was a Fender salesman in the '50s and you found that the Deluxe was too muddy or lacking headroom I'd direct you to a Tweed Super.

BTW I owned a '59 and built 2 and none were muddy or particularly dark. Not sure what I did right as just straight up builds with old parts. But if you need to mod the circuit something's not right IME or it's just not the amp for you.

Speaker synergy is important I like the g12h30 anni, open back, single coils are better but PAF style HBs are fine. As for lacking headroom, that's the whole point. No NFB and not fixed bias would indicate that from the start.

What other amp is going to give you such a big full open swell of distortion at such a nice volume?
jazrok

Post by jazrok »

Thanks guys, I reckon I'll give the 6G3 a try... Can anyone tell me what I need to do to achieve that? Although I've built a few amps that have all worked prefectly I still know very little about electronics. Is there a diagram around showing how to convert a 5E3 to 6G3?
jazrok

Post by jazrok »

matt h wrote: if you've already got a 5e3, and want to point it in *that* direction, the 6g3 is already 95% of the way there. No need to reinvent the wheel!
Thanks guys, I reckon I'll give the 6G3 a try... Can anyone tell me what I need to do to achieve that? Although I've built a few amps that have all worked prefectly I still know very little about electronics. Is there a diagram around showing how to convert a 5E3 to 6G3?
goldenGeek

Post by goldenGeek »

How about a Marshall 2061-ish build (with 6V6), I think that should be a fairly easy conversion (and you probably only need the lead channel)?
cbass

Post by cbass »

All I can tell you is try it and see if you like it. You can only tell so much from YouTube demos. It shouldn't be a big jump to switch to a 6g3 you'll have to add a bias circuit and get a ltpi in there. there already quite a bit of information on the web about changing the tone controls. Youll have to find a spot for an extra preamp tube.
Nothing wrong with doing a Marshall with 6v6s
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

goldenGeek wrote:How about a Marshall 2061-ish build (with 6V6), I think that should be a fairly easy conversion (and you probably only need the lead channel)?
I was just thinking this 8)