V1,V2 and V3 tube choices ?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ToneMerc

Re: V1,V2 and V3 tube choices ?

Post by ToneMerc »

dcribbs1412 wrote:Have you guys used the Sovtek LPS in the PI position if so how does the Mullard compare
Looking at somewhere they offer matched triodes....tubestore, Dougs Tubes

D
The Sovtek 12AX7 LPS and the Mullard RI are the same tube. I usually use a balanced LPS in the PI.

TM
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Long plate Sovteks are fine too. Have switched most of my amps over to new production Mullard. Very important to use your ears and the techniques discussed for tweaking the PI trimmer. ALso try multiple tubes if you can. When you have the right one in there - you will know it.....

EDIT * Thanks TM! I did not realize that. Must be voodoo that made the Mullards sound better :wink:
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Henry(Redplate) told me that the Sovtek LPS and Mullard reissue were the same but I think he said that he had better luck with the ones boxed as Mullards. I like Doug's Tubes. That is were I purchased mine. The tube Henry recommended for the OD was the Ruby 12AX7AC5HG+. I like it as V2 but it is a little too warm sounding for V1.
CW
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Thanks TM
thinking about ordering some matched and balanced ax7's
and get away from the NOS stuff
Kinda strange there are new production Tele and Genelex ax7's
don't see Amperex BB's yet LOL
Charlie Wilson wrote:Henry(Redplate) told me that the Sovtek LPS and Mullard reissue were the same but I think he said that he had better luck with the ones boxed as Mullards. I like Doug's Tubes. That is were I purchased mine. The tube Henry recommended for the OD was the Ruby 12AX7AC5HG+. I like it as V2 but it is a little too warm sounding for V1.
CW
Thanks Charlie
I will be trying Dougs Tubes
he offers matching and balancing

D
Structo

Post by Structo »

Not only that but Doug's Tubes is one of the few tube dealers that burn in tubes before matching.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ER

Post by ER »

I like the telefunkens on V1 for clean only, but for overdrive tones I like Mullard in V1, GE in V2, and a Mullard 12at7 for V3, all OOS (old old stock).
212Mavguy

Post by 212Mavguy »

@ the OP:

Premise #1... a list of nice old stock tubes already in hand...so use them first. Chances are overwhelming that the tones will be better than new production stuff unles thee old stock tubes have seen way too many hours of previous use.

V1 is easy...go to the Bassman roots, RCA. 12ax7a shortplate is great. Guessing you already have one of those. Inexpensive to obtain, most common, and sounds wonderful there. My #1 choice in RCA though is long grayplate 12ax7, #2 RCA 7025 shortplate, smoother than the other RCA's mentioned if pushed into slight distortion, sweetly musical. Clean channel loves RCA's.

V2 go to the Bugle boy. I really like a Philips family shortplate 12ax7 following RCA. Already in hand. Use one of 'em.

PI... Telefunken ribbed plate, you already have 'em, they do a wonderful, compressed violin sustain when pushed into distortion, exhibiting more upper midrange and top end at clean settings, more harmonic content than the smooth plate in lower gain levels of "dirtiness." You can get plenty of bounce at pick attack from a lower setting on the OD trimmer anyway. Smooth plates are kinda bassy and boring until you push them well into distorted territory.

If you don't want to measure the PI voltage difference between each side of the tube...

I have come up with an "ear " method by trrial and error that works for me. Tune the PI by with preamp set on clean channel, slightly less than your favorite gain setting, while master volume is at the same or slightly higher than the loudest master volume setting you will commonly use, NOT dimed wide open. Let the amp operate a good 15-20 minutes before adjusting so that all tubes have enough time to reach "idle operating equilibrium." Set the bias before attempting any PI work as a rule.

If you are using a 'lator of some type, tune the PI at the loudest master volume setting you like to use with that 'lator. Leave the 'lator out of the loop while doing this. You might want to further reduce the clean channel gain at the higher master settings. At the "magic" PI trimmer setting spot, there will be more harmonic detail at attack, as well as longer sustain, pluck an unfretted string softly while the guitar is sitting in an instrument stand, listen to the decay, it will start to die out, then swell slightly, back down, and swell again, sounds as if the amp is "breathing." Start with a wider range of trimmer setting, then narrow it down bit by bit, the magic spot IS a spot, and it takes time to find it.

YMMV, but this works well enough for me. I prefer to adjust at my louder band mix gigging volumes, not home, quieter practice levels
rogb

Post by rogb »

That's very helpful, thanks Mavguy
Rob Livesey

Post by Rob Livesey »

212Mavguy wrote:@ the OP:

Premise #1... a list of nice old stock tubes already in hand...so use them first. Chances are overwhelming that the tones will be better than new production stuff unles thee old stock tubes have seen way too many hours of previous use.

V1 is easy...go to the Bassman roots, RCA. 12ax7a shortplate is great. Guessing you already have one of those. Inexpensive to obtain, most common, and sounds wonderful there. My #1 choice in RCA though is long grayplate 12ax7, #2 RCA 7025 shortplate, smoother than the other RCA's mentioned if pushed into slight distortion, sweetly musical. Clean channel loves RCA's.

V2 go to the Bugle boy. I really like a Philips family shortplate 12ax7 following RCA. Already in hand. Use one of 'em.

PI... Telefunken ribbed plate, you already have 'em, they do a wonderful, compressed violin sustain when pushed into distortion, exhibiting more upper midrange and top end at clean settings, more harmonic content than the smooth plate in lower gain levels of "dirtiness." You can get plenty of bounce at pick attack from a lower setting on the OD trimmer anyway. Smooth plates are kinda bassy and boring until you push them well into distorted territory.

If you don't want to measure the PI voltage difference between each side of the tube...

I have come up with an "ear " method by trrial and error that works for me. Tune the PI by with preamp set on clean channel, slightly less than your favorite gain setting, while master volume is at the same or slightly higher than the loudest master volume setting you will commonly use, NOT dimed wide open. Let the amp operate a good 15-20 minutes before adjusting so that all tubes have enough time to reach "idle operating equilibrium." Set the bias before attempting any PI work as a rule.

If you are using a 'lator of some type, tune the PI at the loudest master volume setting you like to use with that 'lator. Leave the 'lator out of the loop while doing this. You might want to further reduce the clean channel gain at the higher master settings. At the "magic" PI trimmer setting spot, there will be more harmonic detail at attack, as well as longer sustain, pluck an unfretted string softly while the guitar is sitting in an instrument stand, listen to the decay, it will start to die out, then swell slightly, back down, and swell again, sounds as if the amp is "breathing." Start with a wider range of trimmer setting, then narrow it down bit by bit, the magic spot IS a spot, and it takes time to find it.

YMMV, but this works well enough for me. I prefer to adjust at my louder band mix gigging volumes, not home, quieter practice levels
Thanks for the detailed info. I went back to the original v3 as I couldn't get anything to sound right without adjusting the trimmer.

I'm going to try again over the holidays, it takes me hours of swapping and listening and after a while my ears just can't decide anymore.

Happy holidays chaps!
Rob
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------