Express fired up!!

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drhulsey

Express fired up!!

Post by drhulsey »

As I said in this thread:http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3501 my Express build was ready to fire up. That thread shows the gut shots, etc. Just prior to the recent forum hiatus, I got a chance to do the initial power-up. More or less, I went by Paul Ruby’s power-up protocol: http://paulrubyamps.com/info.html#FirstPowerUp.
The Express uses a 120V indicator lamp rather than the 6.3V mentioned in Paul’s protocol. I did check the PT secondary HT and LT outputs and found 300V on each half of the HT and 600V across the full secondary. The LT was appropriate, also. I then soldered the secondary wires appropriately. With power on, B+ measured 417V. This was also seen at the OT primaries. B2-5+ all fell in appropriate ranges. Tubes (J/J 12AX7’s and EH EL34’s) were inserted and showed filament glow and no red-plating. There was no excess heat on the PT and the OT was cold. I set the voltage on pin 5 of the EL34's at -30V since I hadn't put in any external bias points.
There was a hum that increased with volume control increase. The preamp tube got warm and the power tubes got hot. Chop-sticking leads did not change the hum. Since there was no SMOKE, I put a NOS JAN Sylvania 12AX7 in V1, and that solved the hum. I replaced all the tubes with NOS and plugged in a guitar. Amazingly, it worked! I had spent a great deal of time reading this forum, drawing schematics and layouts, and asking questions. I had also tried to duplicate Francesca’s lead dress as closely as I could. I was still amazed that it came together without any significant problems– Beginner’s Luck, I think.
I spent the afternoon serenading the neighbors (whether they liked it or not). I live in a rural area, so there aren’t too many people to annoy, and the Sheriff doesn’t care unless it’s at night! What a tone!! There was obviously a little more noise with a Strat and SC’s than with the PRS single-cut and humbuckers. I was playing it through a 1 x 12 Ear Candy cab with a Celestion K12T200 speaker and it was still plenty bright. I’ll have too spend some more time on it before I try to gig with it.
All in all, it has been a very exciting experience. I do think that taking the time to understand the circuit, bugging the very accommodating people on this forum (e.g., Allynmey and UR12), and following the Francesca layout as closely as possible made it a success with very little frustration.
Now, I have to figure out a way to record some clips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drhulsey on Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
drhulsey

Re: Express fired up!!

Post by drhulsey »

This is a composite of the Francesca pic's which I patched together to have a photographic layout to go by. It was a GREAT help to me. I hope it will be helpful to others. I made a 36" x 18" copy to use on the bench.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

Buschman

Post by Buschman »

Congratulations on the new amp. There is nothing like the virgin voltage application to a fresh project--especially when it works.
I've got blisters on my fingers!
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Great Job Tim!!!! :D :D
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Looks Great, I'm sure it sounds great too. That's some beefy iron there, what did you use if I may ask?

John
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Congratulations! Watch out for that ringing in your ears...
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

mlp-mx6 wrote:Congratulations! ...
I'm sorry. I can't hear you for the ringing in my ears :shock:
John_P_WI wrote: That's some beefy iron there...
The transformers came from Moose (Toneslut) and are made by Heyboer. I try to bench press this amp 100 time a day :!: The chassis (along with a lot of moral support and information) came from Allynmey, and it can handle the iron 8)
Thanks for all the encouraging words :wink: I could only wish that everyone's build should go so well :D
Tim

skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Yeah man. And thanks for the composit. I was thinking of doing something similar but now I don't have to. If I can think of anything else I need you to do for me I'll PM you. :lol:

Great build!
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Fabulous, Great Job. Really heartening to hear your success.

Did you run the PT/OT wires out of 3 or 4 holes?
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

skyboltone wrote: And thanks for the composite.
Not being as electronically gifted as many on this forum, I needed something to help me see the BIG PICTURE :shock: So a BIG PICTURE was just what the doctor ordered :!: I think I'll keep MY dunce cap on for a while :lol:
gearhead wrote: Did you run the PT/OT wires out of 3 or 4 holes?
2 holes for the OT and 1 hole for the PT. All the PT wires exit the bell in one hole on Moose's PT.
Tim

Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

Good job!

Can't wait to start on mine... :roll:
Fredaxis

Post by Fredaxis »

delete
Last edited by Fredaxis on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fredaxis

Post by Fredaxis »

Great job Dr !!!
Looking very good.
And thanks again for Francesca composite picture,very helpful.
I cannot wait to see Allynmey preparing a new series of chassis!!!!!!
I NEED ONE!!!!! :D
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Looks great Tim!!

I can't wait to get my Express done...and get my Liverpool done right!
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Thanks for the good words, guys
dartanion wrote:...and get my Liverpool done right!
Darin, with all your experience you don't get the benefit of beginner's luck like I did. I expect to be tearing my hair out with the next one :twisted: Both of them :roll:
Tim