Vox AC30 kit?

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

doveman

Vox AC30 kit?

Post by doveman »

I have built a Brown Note 22/33 and Allen Accomplice Jr (both detailed here). My son would like to build an amp together with me. He'd like to do an AC30 style. All I know of on that vane are the Ceriatone's. Are there any good kits out there ... maybe in the states that put together good kits? Maybe the Ceriatones are good too ... but I'm not really feeling it.

Any thoughts on AC kits that are as good as the Allen is for Fender types?
matt h

Re: Vox AC30 kit?

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Weber's kit: https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60b.htm#6V30
You can download the docs and have look.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Consider the Trainwreck Rocket, if you are interested in a very stable, builder-friendly, version of the Top Boost. It is well documented here at Ampgarage. Look to RJ Guitars for supplies.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

If you're getting a cabinet, the Weber offerings are hard to beat. Speakers, too. Some of the components could be swapped out for not much money. Their prices on Sozo caps are unbeatable, too.
schaublin65

Post by schaublin65 »

Hi,

I have a AC30 from somewhere around 1963.

If I ever get around to cloning it the chassis linked to above on ebay.co.uk is exactly what I will use. Better made than a real one.

A Trainwreck Rocket in a nice hardwood sleeve is probably much more practical. Easy to carry and easy to look at.

Great amps either way.

Take care............

John
rooster

Post by rooster »

The chasssis Mark posted is not the TB model chassis, FWIW. Moving on, I have built an AC30TB using the Weber AC30TB chassis, individually purchased components and factory schematics. I also have three friends who have originals that I looked at during the process. It's not an easy build for a beginner IMO and you will find that any kit of this amp is compromised when compared to the original - (which should make it an easier build, actually!) However, if you still have your heart set on an accurate AC30TB, I think another poster here 'Torg' (?) drew some great 'paint by number' layouts that looked very accurate. I think they are still on the site somewhere? Doug Hoffman has a compromised circuit board, as well, don't forget him.

I say consider instead the Rocket as someone else posted, that's my suggestion, too. (And do add the 220K resistor to ground at the PI and a switch to control it.) My .02.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Turret

Post by Turret »

Yes. I fairly sure my plans are here on TAG. They're verified

Steve's chassis are great, he sells TB add on too
Facebook Page with my amp plans
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

rooster wrote:I say consider instead the Rocket as someone else posted, that's my suggestion, too. (And do add the 220K resistor to ground at the PI and a switch to control it.) My .02.
Not to derail, but what's this mod? Where "at the PI" is the resistor placed? Just in front of the input cap?
rooster

Post by rooster »

Martin, yeah, this was a Ken Fischer suggestion after POS (Point Of Sale) to 2Tone, a member here who purchased a Rocket from him (Ken) back in the day.

2Tone has his take on it and maybe he will chime in but here's my short version. :) And before I begin, let me point out the 2Tone does not like this mod. I, on the other hand do, quite a bit actually.

If you look at a real AC30TB - and Ken had seen and played quite a few I'm sure - you will see that the 'Normal' Channel enters the PI at the same junction as the TB Channel. Both channels use an individual 220K coupling resistor as they arrive at the .047 PI coupling cap. The Rocket does not have this Normal Channel load obviously, and somewhere along the way, Ken thought it might be an option worth having. He suggested to 2Tone that he add a switch to include this option, a SP/ST with a 220K resistor to ground at the PI coupling cap.

On a personal note, I have both an AC30TB and a Rocket. With the Rocket I thought I liked it fine stock, but then one day I lifted the Normal Channel load on my AC30TB and I heard how much gain this added. I much prefer the less gainy Rocket sound but I have demoed this with friends and the majority of them seem to like the higher gain stock Rocket. And here the switch gives an option. Also, BTW, as to the 220K load resistor, as I measure the Normal Channel to ground off the open switch, it measures 210K or thereabouts no matter where I put the controls or volume on the Normal Channel.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Great, thanks for the explaination.
LuciMan

Post by LuciMan »

Turret wrote:Yes. I fairly sure my plans are here on TAG. They're verified
That I can confirm for sure! :) I did a few clones using "torg's/turrets" colored layouts (see Surrounded by clones ) - they were a great help (as well as Stephen Grosvenor's Guide did)!
Turret wrote:Steve's chassis are great, he sells TB add on too
On my projects I used Steve's chassis including the AC30 TB add. To built the AC30 TB integrated I used an undrilled L-part I got by him and drilled it by myself to match the TB holes.