Bench light recommendations please

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Gaz

Bench light recommendations please

Post by Gaz »

Need a good bench light, and figured I'd ask if anyone here had a setup they really liked. I've been using normal overhead lighting in the spare room with one of these (http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/40088_PE079702_S3.JPG), but it's wearing out, and the light is way too directional. I need something bright all over, like a fluorescent, but maybe not a fluorescent cause of the bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz thing. Thanks!
xtian

Re: Bench light recommendations please

Post by xtian »

I dig the Ott Lite:

http://www.ott-lite.com/p-68-crane-deskclamp-lamp.aspx

Sometimes it puts a little bzzzz into open chassis-esses, but not often. Great, daylight color, easy on the eyeballs.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

+1 Ott lite is the way to go, i got mine for tying flies and it has stuck with me ever since, cross country

i have two now :oops:
Jana

Post by Jana »

I use a desk lamp and put a 60 or 75 watt bulb in it. Then I move it up as close as I can to where I am working (inches away). My eyes are getting so bad that I need a lot of light really close. I also have a Maglite flashlight close at hand for when I need even more light!
What?
JoeCon

Post by JoeCon »

Eye tests show you need 3x the light at 60 years old than you did at 20 years old. I use 2 overhead 60 watt LEDs and a 40 halogen right on my bench...
I can almost see stuff.
In theory, theory is the same as practice. In practice it's different.
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

I use a work light that takes a halogen G4 bulb. I find LED and fluorescent light fatiguing.

John
Do not limit yourself to what others think is reasonable or possible.

www.johnchristou.com
menger66

Post by menger66 »

I use something like the ott-lite but mine clamps down and lamp is round
it was a yard sale find it takes a halo-bulb and telescopes a good 4 ft, something like a dentist would use i love it mark
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

I have a professional electronic bench light from an industrial supplier that makes benches for the electronics manufacturing segment. I can't remember the make, but do an Internet search.

It's about 6 feet long and uses several fluorescent bulbs- very bright and gives excellent whole-bench light coverage. Not cheap, but really the best I've seen.
Ron
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

I have two magnifying glass lights. I never use the mag, but they have circular florescent lights in them, they clamp to the desk and you can position them in all sorts of ways.

They make a killer version with a built in fume exhauster, but it's like $300

Someday...

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/product/OC-White/25200
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Thanks guys!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

amplifiednation wrote:I have two magnifying glass lights. I never use the mag, but they have circular florescent lights in them, they clamp to the desk and you can position them in all sorts of ways.

They make a killer version with a built in fume exhauster, but it's like $300

Someday...

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/product/OC-White/25200
And, Amplified Nation, that is cool, but the little fan looks worthless. If you're doing a lot of soldering spring for a real one with a HEPA filter, or something that vents it out of the shop (not always convenient). I finally got one, and am kicking myself for not getting it 5 years ago.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Which exhaust do you have? I had two benchtop models and they were cool, but I'd have to balance them on things to get them in the right position. I ended up throwing them away and am currently using a small fan, but I'd love to get a good exhaust with a flexible hose or something mounted on an arm.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

I made a system for different reasons (spray painting fumes and cigar smoke removal, not at the same time of course) but it would still work to remove soldering fumes. I took an air hockey table fan (squirrel cage) and put it above my grid ceiling, then hooked up 4" PVC pipe to it and directed that to two areas of the room, then outside on the exhaust end. It moves a lot of air but it's very noisy so I don't use it much.

As far as bench lighting goes, I'm still working on that. I thought maybe a lighthouse light would work well though.
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."
Structo

Post by Structo »

I actually like florescent tube lighting as it doesn't cast as many shadows as traditional lighting.[/list]
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
jam-mill

Post by jam-mill »

Just bought an inexpensive 48" LED shop light to use in conjunction with a magnifying lamp that has a circular fluorescent bulb, but have not installed it yet. The more light the better at my age.
John 15:12-13