Hot rod deluxe carcass - what should I do with it? ideas?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Gainzilla

Hot rod deluxe carcass - what should I do with it? ideas?

Post by Gainzilla »

Hi all,

I inherited a HRD with a pretty hammered circuit board. Looks like it needed the usual relay supply dropping resistors, but someone butchered it. Traces are lifted, jumpers galore. The clean worked for a bit but stooped after a few minutes. I believe all the iron is still good.

So the question is, what should I build in there? Looks easy enough to rip out the main board and trace where the power tube connections map to on the power tube board. I've got a great amp for crunch and leads so I would be thinking of a cleanish amp, maybe a good pedal platform. I like my cleans to be pristine when I back off but bare its teeth a little when I dig in.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Zippy

Re: Hot rod deluxe carcass - what should I do with it? ideas?

Post by Zippy »

Replace the board and turn it into a Trainwreck-like Rocket.
drew

Post by drew »

You might want to look at the several threads you'll find in the Dumble section regarding "Small Special" builds.
Randy Magee

Post by Randy Magee »

They are a pretty good platform for a 5E5 circuit even using the existing transformers. It would have to use diodes for rectifiers unless you add a 5V transformer...
Randy Magee
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If you want a loud enough clean volume to play with a loud drummer, or a 4 to 5 piece band than forget the stock power transformer and output as they are only good for 32 clean watts of power ( even with the best new output tubes!) and even though the stock speaker is rated at 100 db you will find that you will either need 20 more watts of power or a extension speaker cabinet!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Gainzilla

Post by Gainzilla »

Thanks for the responses guys!

Re: trainwreck type circuit: how are the cleans? I'm not so worried about getting to "scream" levels, but I haven't heard many clean clips. I'm into that Andy timmons kind of Texas clean. He's using a boogie lonestar which looks like a little like 60w champ. Lol

I'm a little intrigued by the D type circuit. I'll have to look into that. :)

I'm not too concerned about volume. I should add that this will be more for recording/writing so 30ish watts should be fine. What about a cathode biased 32 watt, 6L6 based, blackface or brown face type circuit? I'll look into the 5e3 circuit as well. Seems like lots of people like the crunch but I bet there's some good clean tones in there!

Any other thoughts? You guys have given me lots to think about (not entirely sure if that's a good thing. Lol).

Cheers
RWood

Post by RWood »

I'm very fond of the early Supers..5C4, 5D4 which can be made quite small with PTP. Fendery cleans and punchy when you dig in.

I love the 5E3 for breakup but cleans are not as good in my opinion.

A friend of mine built a Tweedle D in a S/S Princeton cab that is kick-ass.
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !