Help me decide which one to build, D'lite 6v6 or 100w ODS

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mcshaner2k

Help me decide which one to build, D'lite 6v6 or 100w ODS

Post by mcshaner2k »

Hey everyone,

First post here. I recently completed my first amp build, an 18watt Marshall TMB that I built from scratch. It's the best sounding amp I've ever owned, I love it. I'm itching to build another and have been going back an forth between wrecks and dumbles. Eventually I'll probably build both..ha

Anyways, volume levels are always a concern of mine. I like being able to play my amps in my house at their sweet spots. Playing out, we're almost always mic'd so no need for Hi-wattage or huge cabs.

I've been researching the differant Dumble variants and trying to decide which would be best for me. I like the idea of the D'lite with 6v6's but from what I gather they lack the fullness and character of the true 4x6L6 amps. Is it true these amps can be played at low volume because of preamp design and master volume control. Also, some have built D'lites or 50w ODS's only to end up unsatisfied and building the 100watter for their tonal superiority.

I see that the Dumbleators have some volume control as well, however I'm having trouble finding more info about the actual volume control.

To sum things up..
Will a 100w OSD at low volume sound better than a 6v6 D'Lite at high volume?
I appreciate the feedback. I've done a ton of research on here already, great site!
ToneMerc

Re: Help me decide which one to build, D'lite 6v6 or 100w ODS

Post by ToneMerc »

One option is a quad 6V6 ODS, I have built a few of those.

TM
mcshaner2k

Post by mcshaner2k »

ToneMerc wrote:One option is a quad 6V6 ODS, I have built a few of those.

TM
Thanks for the response TM

Is this just a matter of swapping tubes from 6L6 to 6v6?
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

mcshaner2k wrote:
ToneMerc wrote:One option is a quad 6V6 ODS, I have built a few of those.

TM
Thanks for the response TM

Is this just a matter of swapping tubes from 6L6 to 6v6?
No not exactly, on the surface the bias circuit needs to be modifed slightly. I personally run the 6V6 amps plate voltage at around 380-410, verses the 440-460 or so of the full blown amps. You could use the same 100W OT if you chose run it at 8/16/32, instead of 4/8/16.

In reality, I have a 6V6 HRM that in perceived loudness is not much different as that one of my 100W versions. I think the four tube amps have a different feel, more current.

Honestly, considering that one can literally trip over documentation, chassis, boards and etc. I dont see much reason to build a gelded version of a ODS, whether in feature set or power output. More than once folks have built a D"lite and a month later looking to mod it.

TM
mcshaner2k

Post by mcshaner2k »

Excellent info, thanks

I think I'll build the #124

Now it's time to try and absorb the seemingly endless amount of information on building this..lol

I've downloaded the latest layout, BOM, and schematic. Wish me luck:)