BFSR BOM/parts list

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tWreCK

BFSR BOM/parts list

Post by tWreCK »

Anyone here built a BFSR kit or project and compiled a BOM/parts list? I'm looking to gather materials and parts for a super reverb project but need to know what parts I need (save for the obvious cabinet, speakers, chassis, tubes etc). I do not want to go the complete kit route (ala Mojotone) as I already have some of the hardware and I want to use different resistors/caps etc than they use in their kits. Any help or tips are highly appreciated........
The Ballzz

Re: BFSR BOM/parts list

Post by The Ballzz »

That Sir,
Is a tough one! Many companies freely offer layouts and even detailed schematics, but few, if any, seem to provide a BOM. I think you are likely looking at the long and arduous process/task of pouring over a specific set of schematic/layout, deciding which types & brands you want for each location and calling it a day, or two, or three!

I might suggest that a "kit" will provide all that you need and then simply bite the $$ bullet $$ on the few bucks for the tone and reliability components that you desire. Many or even most of the parts in a kit will likely be absolutely fine for the "les than critical locations. It's really your call as to whether or not the $25-$50 savings you perceive by not ending up with some spare/unused parts is worth the hours of your life spent sourcing them yourself. I realize/assume you want to be a purist and do the best of the best you can do, but there is certainly a point at which you run into diminishing returns for your efforts.

Now, if you were an experienced, professional builder who plans to build multiple, similar amps you could source your parts in quantity and save a few $$, but for one-off or two-off builds, you may be simply chasing your tail down a deep dark hole!

I might also add that any "perceived" savings will quickly be evaporated by shipping costs in having to source from variously different suppliers!

Been There, Done That, Got The T-shirt,
Gene
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Hoffman has a BOM available for his AB763 amp. That will get you 95% (maybe more) of the stuff you need.
tWreCK

Post by tWreCK »

Thx for the link - I'll check that out.

I thought about going the kit route but since I already have tubes, chassis, cabinet hardware, speakers it's just a matter of getting a cabinet and all the small parts together. None of the kit sellers have an option for just the small parts/electronics.
The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

tWreCK

Post by tWreCK »

I wonder how I missed that? That could definitely be the ticket - thanks!
Last edited by tWreCK on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I didn't list the mojotone small parts kit because you said you wanted to use different caps and resistors then what mojotone supplies with it's kits? :)
tWreCK

Post by tWreCK »

I know, but I can eat the cost of the resistors/caps to get the other parts :-)
tWreCK

Post by tWreCK »

BTW, would 4 evm10m's fit in a SR without any modifications to the cab/baffle?
Structo

Post by Structo »

In combo amps, the clearance between the speaker frames and the transformers is the main concern.

Mock it up the best way you can to see if it will work.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!