just bought 2x EV force 12's any thoughts?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

just bought 2x EV force 12's any thoughts?

Post by norburybrook »

I've just picked up for a good price 2 x EV force 12's anyone used these with their Dumbles?

I was going to make a 2x12 Dumble cab with these for my 100w BLuesmaster.

Marcus
JazzGuitarGimp

Re: just bought 2x EV force 12's any thoughts?

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Are these speakers still in production, or did you buy used?

The only experience I have with Force speakers is with the 10" model. I bought a Music Man RD110-fifty combo amp back in the early 80's I bought it because it was powerful enough to keep up with Marshall half-stacks, and it was small enough to strap onto the back seat of my motorcycle, along with my guitar (BOSS BCB-6 pedalboard in the trunk). I absolutely hated the sound of that amp.... that is..... until I replaced the stock 10" speaker with an EV Force 10. I still have and use this amp, though it looks like it's been through the wringer a few times in its old age. I haven't heard much about EV Force speakers since the early 80's.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

The EV Force are not available new any more.

I have a couple of 12's, and some 18's.

We used to use them in car stereo.

John
Do not limit yourself to what others think is reasonable or possible.

www.johnchristou.com
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Thanks guys, as with all things until you try with your particular combination of amp/guitar you'll never know.

I got them used for a reasonable price and the power rating will mean I can hook them up to a 100w amp without issue so I'll give them a go and post my impressions.

Marcus
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Update;

I've loaded them in a dumble style 2x12 cabinet today.

First impressions are they're not as bright as my uk Celestion G12 80.

Not a bad thing perhaps with a bright amp.

Anyway they sound very neutral and controlled, a very even top to bottom sound.

Marcus
Attachments
WP_20150523_001.jpg
Structo

Post by Structo »

Nice looking rig! :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks Tom, the Dumbleator is the only thing I need to sort out visually.

What do people normally do with them?

Back in the day when everyone was using rack stuff then it would just go in a rack but now? no one uses racks anymore.

I'm still not 100% convinced it's needed these day either with modern delay/reverb pedals, they seem to handle the straight loop level just fine.

I saw robben ford a couple of weeks ago and he's not using the dumbleator and rack FX any more. All delays, verbs etc are on his board.

Marcus
rogb

Post by rogb »

norburybrook wrote:thanks Tom, the Dumbleator is the only thing I need to sort out visually.

What do people normally do with them?

Back in the day when everyone was using rack stuff then it would just go in a rack but now? no one uses racks anymore.

I'm still not 100% convinced it's needed these day either with modern delay/reverb pedals, they seem to handle the straight loop level just fine.

I saw robben ford a couple of weeks ago and he's not using the dumbleator and rack FX any more. All delays, verbs etc are on his board.

Marcus
Were you at Academy Islington? I was there too!
Out of interest, I tried my TC HOF reverb and Flashback in the loop w/no Dlator. In my 2nd Gen there was definitely a more dynamic feel, more dynamics and feedback/bloom thing going on like this but I really don't think the FX sounded quite as good as GMajor2/Suhr MiniMix/Dlator.

Live, it would be do-able but I wasn't convinced, maybe as I'm so used to the "hi-fi" of the rack rig. Could be just this amp though. It was an interesting experiment. Maybe RF is going for a different feel now too?
When I get a chance I will ask Simon his tech about this.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I was at the Academy Roger , a great gig, lovely to see Jonny Henderson playing with Robben.

As I don't have a master volume bright cap on my amp the dumbleator gives me an extra bit of sparkle with the bright switches on, I'm going to put a cap on the master volume though so I'll see how that changes things.

I also started a 100w bluesmaster so I'm intrigued as to how that will sound. I've been on tour though for the last 2 months AND in the middle of an album project in my studio so I've been working 7 days a week. I then go to Australia on tour at the end of this month so I don't think it's going to get built any time soon!!!!

marcus
rogb

Post by rogb »

norburybrook wrote:I was at the Academy Roger , a great gig, lovely to see Jonny Henderson playing with Robben.

As I don't have a master volume bright cap on my amp the dumbleator gives me an extra bit of sparkle with the bright switches on, I'm going to put a cap on the master volume though so I'll see how that changes things.

I also started a 100w bluesmaster so I'm intrigued as to how that will sound. I've been on tour though for the last 2 months AND in the middle of an album project in my studio so I've been working 7 days a week. I then go to Australia on tour at the end of this month so I don't think it's going to get built any time soon!!!!

marcus
Sounds busy! I had the pleasure of Jonny H with Matt Schofield too, really is a treat to hear such a cool and accomplished organ-iser. That boy swings!!!!
Take care and good luck!
RCGPNY1

Post by RCGPNY1 »

It kills me when I read "Dumble Cabinet". There is absolutely nothing special about that design. An oval opening in the back is just an aesthetically pleasing way to make an open back-it is not a unique design by any stretch. As far as Force speakers go, they were an attempt by E.V. to make a more affordable version of the EVM series. Very similar motor system with a much smaller magnet. The can sound good for guitar if you want less coloration from your speaker.