Thanks again, members and admins...

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

212Mavguy

Thanks again, members and admins...

Post by 212Mavguy »

Trying to keep this short...Yesterday I finished with the repair of one of my amps. It is a prototype Hiwatt DR504 front end with a unique Bendix 6384 tubed power supply/section, engineered and built by Toad Suck Tones. It had sat unrepaired for a year and a half because I was too intimidated and the builder lived at least 1500 miles away. I recently purchased a decent if not great DMM to replace the damaged 10 dollar one and went to the preamp socket pins, found where the voltage was not right, consulted the schematic, found in the amp where a two section 100/100.500 can cap was missing in the schematic, found the spot where a piece of guitar string had fallen into the wrong place (!!!), decoded a well burned and cracked resistor, ordered the new parts, installed them with great difficulty and persistence, fired it up and it freakin' ROARED!

That never would have happened without what I learned from lots of hours spent reading your posts. I put the longer drama filled version in the amplification section at the Heritage guitar owners' forum.

Thank you.
Garthhog

Re: Thanks again, members and admins...

Post by Garthhog »

Nice. Even as a builder and an electrical engineer I sometimes stop here for ideas when I am stumped.
Ryan Brown
Brown Amplification LLC