Fender Twin 65 RI Power Transformer

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

larsvictor

Fender Twin 65 RI Power Transformer

Post by larsvictor »

Hello Everybody,

I have an export version of a Fender Twin 65 RI power transformer (Export Version: #049181, US-Version #037610) The voltages of the secondary windings are 0-340 VAC - no CT, 0-6.3 VAC and 0-50 VAC.

Unfortunatly I can´t get any information about the maximum current rating of each secondary winding. Does anyone have more information ?

Thanks
Lars
Stevem

Re: Fender Twin 65 RI Power Transformer

Post by Stevem »

The re-issue amp uses a bridge recto, so yes it has no HV center tap and the 340 volts you measured makes for the 442 volts that the amp has when off the standby position .
If memory serves me right the stock Fender blackface and early silverface PTs have 465 ma on the HV winding and many of the better after market replacements have a tad over 500 ma.
The heater winding needs to have 6.2 amps and most that I have seen have 6.5.
The re-issue amp has about the same 62 volts on its bias winding as a non re-issue amp.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
larsvictor

Post by larsvictor »

Thanks a lot. 500 mA should be enough for 4 6L6GCs and 7 12AX7. I want to use it for a Steel-String-Singer project (I know - wrong section here :? ).

Lars
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Yup, I checked the stock Fender spec and 500 is 50ma more than stock!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Bear in mind that the ac current in the winding is 1.414 x more for a FWB than a bi-phase FW rectifier (in which the Iac = Idc), all else being equal.
Also, in theory, I think there may be lower winding loss, though it's tricky to balance that against the higher current / full cycle loss.